Dimension 8300 TEAC / MyDVD write errors

I've had my new Dimension 8300 for a few weeks and have had nothing but
trouble with burning DVDs.

System: Windows XP Home
DVD+R drive: TEAC DV-W58E
Program: Sonic MyDVD 5.0
Media: DVD+R disks

Sometimes the program will lock up while "transcoding".
Sometimes I get a "DVD write error".

Anyone else having problems burning DVDs with similar systems?

Have you tried a different brand of blanks? I've found the media to almost
always be the problem.

Tom
"Paul E." <paulench@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've had my new Dimension 8300 for a few weeks and have had nothing but
> trouble with burning DVDs.
>
> System: Windows XP Home
> DVD+R drive: TEAC DV-W58E
> Program: Sonic MyDVD 5.0
> Media: DVD+R disks
>
> Sometimes the program will lock up while "transcoding".
> Sometimes I get a "DVD write error".
>
> Anyone else having problems burning DVDs with similar systems?

Have you checked to see if Dell has a firmware update for your DVD
burner. My NEC DVD+RW 1100A drive refused some disks, but Dell had a
firmware update for just that problem. I have 8300 with 1 gig of
memory, but I find when burning a DVD, I still reboot the computer, also
making sure you have enough disk space for the program to make the
temporary imagefile.iso. I use Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7 and have no
problems.

Joan

Paul E. wrote:

> I've had my new Dimension 8300 for a few weeks and have had nothing but
> trouble with burning DVDs.
>
> System: Windows XP Home
> DVD+R drive: TEAC DV-W58E
> Program: Sonic MyDVD 5.0
> Media: DVD+R disks
>
> Sometimes the program will lock up while "transcoding".
> Sometimes I get a "DVD write error".
>
> Anyone else having problems burning DVDs with similar systems?

Thanks Tom - I'll try different brand of disks - These are Philips from
Office Depot.

> Have you tried a different brand of blanks? I've found the media to
almost
> always be the problem.
>
> Tom

It seems that Dell only started shipping this TEAC drive - it's quite new.
The TEAC support page says there are no updates at this time, and of course
Dell doesn't have any either.

It might just be the brand of DVD blanks I'm using.

"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
> Have you checked to see if Dell has a firmware update for your DVD
> burner. My NEC DVD+RW 1100A drive refused some disks, but Dell had a
> firmware update for just that problem. I have 8300 with 1 gig of
> memory, but I find when burning a DVD, I still reboot the computer, also
> making sure you have enough disk space for the program to make the
> temporary imagefile.iso. I use Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7 and have no
> problems.
>
> Joan

My 8300 came witht he TEAC. I have only burned a few DVD & DVD/RW's
(Data only) and a couple of CD-R's No problem. I have been using
Memorex media for years and in general have had no problems, including
Memorex 4x DVD+R & DVD+RW.

Mike