Dimension L1000R motherboard or processor

I have an L1000R that will not boot up. The fans will turn on, as
well as the CD Rom, however nothing will come up on the monitor. The
light on the front of the computer only came on when i unplugged the
power supply to the CD ROm.. So i changed the power supply from a 300
to a 450 (because it was the only one i could get my hands on for the
price), at that point nothing would turn on, not even the fans. So i
put the old power supply back in, unhooked
EVERYTHING except the monitor,
keyboard, and mouse. There still was not anything displayed on the
screen. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether or not it's
my motherboard or processor.

How much would the computer be worth as it is if i sold it with the
monitor, keyboard and mouse?

thanks

Like most of the other Dell Dimension LxxxR series, the L1000R does not use a
standard run-of-the-mill generic ATX power supply. Unfortunately, Dell cobbled
up the ATX-like power connector on most of its Pentium 3 (and Pentium 2?)
systems so that the connector is physically the same, but the voltages in the
various wire leads are different. The custom Dell P3 motherboard expects the
same voltages as supplied by the cobbled up Dell power supply. Connecting a
standard ATX power supply to the Dell P3 motherboard may well have spoiled it.

.... Ben Myers

On 7 Feb 2005 12:17:02 -0500, dna271@peoplepc-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(ricerocket) wrote:

>I have an L1000R that will not boot up. The fans will turn on, as
>well as the CD Rom, however nothing will come up on the monitor. The
>light on the front of the computer only came on when i unplugged the
>power supply to the CD ROm.. So i changed the power supply from a 300
>to a 450 (because it was the only one i could get my hands on for the
>price), at that point nothing would turn on, not even the fans. So i
>put the old power supply back in, unhooked
>EVERYTHING except the monitor,
>keyboard, and mouse. There still was not anything displayed on the
>screen. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether or not it's
>my motherboard or processor.
>
>How much would the computer be worth as it is if i sold it with the
>monitor, keyboard and mouse?
>
>thanks

the dimension l1000r does not have a standard power supply. it does have a
standard power connector but it is wired differently than a generic power
supply. fortunately (and probably deliberately) it was designed so that no
harm would come to your system by accidentally installing a generic supply;
it simply won't work. now that you have your dell power supply back in your
system try booting the machine and then look on the back of the system for
the four leds labeled a/b/c/d. they will either lite green or yellow in a
pattern that indicates an error code that can be looked up at
support.dell.com or you can post your findings here. since your machine
came with an integrated video card you problem may simply be having the
monitor plugged into a add on video card that was installed in one of the
expansion slots (sometimes this results in not seeing the start up screens
which can clue you into the problem). tell us more before we speculate any
further...

"ricerocket" <dna271@peoplepc-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I have an L1000R that will not boot up. The fans will turn on, as
> well as the CD Rom, however nothing will come up on the monitor. The
> light on the front of the computer only came on when i unplugged the
> power supply to the CD ROm.. So i changed the power supply from a 300
> to a 450 (because it was the only one i could get my hands on for the
> price), at that point nothing would turn on, not even the fans. So i
> put the old power supply back in, unhooked
> EVERYTHING except the monitor,
> keyboard, and mouse. There still was not anything displayed on the
> screen. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether or not it's
> my motherboard or processor.
>
> How much would the computer be worth as it is if i sold it with the
> monitor, keyboard and mouse?
>
> thanks

TRENDING THREADS