DirectX Compatibility

Tim

I have an old HP4535 PC which came with the following

Windows 98SE
Intel i810 chipset (w integrated video)
Celeron 400
Maxtor 10GB EIDE HD
320 MB PC100 SDRAM
8x CD-ROM
floppy drive

I also added the following as aftermarket items ...

Diamond Monster MX300 Soundcard (vortex 2 chip)
USR 56K modem (controller based)

I have checked with both Intel and HP and they both give the green light for
updating DirectX from its current version (6) to version 9. However, since
I installed both the sound card and the modem as aftermarket items could
either cause a conflict with DX9?

What components does Direct X affect besides Audio/Video?

What's the worst the could happen if it isn't compatible?

Thanks in advance.

Neither aftermarket item should get in the way of a successful install of Direct
X 9... Ben Myers

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 00:41:21 -0500, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have an old HP4535 PC which came with the following
>
>Windows 98SE
>Intel i810 chipset (w integrated video)
>Celeron 400
>Maxtor 10GB EIDE HD
>320 MB PC100 SDRAM
>8x CD-ROM
>floppy drive
>

>I also added the following as aftermarket items ...
>
>Diamond Monster MX300 Soundcard (vortex 2 chip)
>USR 56K modem (controller based)
>
>I have checked with both Intel and HP and they both give the green light for
>updating DirectX from its current version (6) to version 9. However, since
>I installed both the sound card and the modem as aftermarket items could
>either cause a conflict with DX9?
>
>What components does Direct X affect besides Audio/Video?
>
>What's the worst the could happen if it isn't compatible?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Tim

> Neither aftermarket item should get in the way of a successful install of
Direct
> X 9... Ben Myers

Thanks for your reply.

BTW, I'm also considering installing a PNY GeForce MX420 video card (PCI),
but the manufacturer
recommends a 250 watt power supply. Has anyone has had success adding such a
card to this system? I don't even know the rating for its power supply. I
assume that this card has low power requirements as it doesn't even have a
fan on the GPU (just a small heatsink). Then again I'm already powering an
aftermarket sound card and modem so I might be pushing my luck. Any
thoughts are appreciated.

I think I would hold off on the GeForce card. I don't know your model of
Pavilion intimately, but Pavilions has almost always had power supplies with low
wattage ratings, usually 90w for the smallest microtower case, 145w for the
larger case.

The cooling fan on a graphics card is the least of the worries in terms of
wattage consumption. The newer graphics chips run fast and hot and all the
memory on a graphics card draws current, too... Ben Myers

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:03:24 -0500, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Neither aftermarket item should get in the way of a successful install of
>Direct
>> X 9... Ben Myers
>>

>Thanks for your reply.
>
>BTW, I'm also considering installing a PNY GeForce MX420 video card (PCI),
>but the manufacturer
>recommends a 250 watt power supply. Has anyone has had success adding such a
>card to this system? I don't even know the rating for its power supply. I
>assume that this card has low power requirements as it doesn't even have a
>fan on the GPU (just a small heatsink). Then again I'm already powering an
>aftermarket sound card and modem so I might be pushing my luck. Any
>thoughts are appreciated.

Tim

> I think I would hold off on the GeForce card. I don't know your model of
> Pavilion intimately, but Pavilions has almost always had power supplies
> with low wattage ratings, usually 90w for the smallest microtower case,
> 145w for the larger case.
>
> The cooling fan on a graphics card is the least of the worries in terms of
> wattage consumption. The newer graphics chips run fast and hot and all
> the memory on a graphics card draws current, too... Ben Myers

I agree about holding off on the card. And a recent call to HP confirmed
that the system does have 90 watt power supply (I never knew they even went
that low) I think it's time to call it a day and upgrade a newer PC, one
from the present century (this one is from 1998). Thanks for your help.