DirectX, OpenGL May Soon Allow Low-Level Hardware Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
A little competition is good, because the end result will equal better performance in games. If AMD was smart, they would lease their api/programming to DirectX and OpenGL, but make the Mantle Option only available to newer Radeon Graphics cards. If DirectX & OpenGL had Mantle integrated, the technology could be cross-platform. This could give AMD a huge advantage over Nvidia!

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Mantle haters should not hate after all. Without the push for Mantle, the response for others (OpenGL and DirectX) would have been much slower. Obviously they think Mantle is a threat and in order to survive they need to try something similar. This is good for EVERYONE.

rakadedo

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012
I would think this has less to do with Mantle and more to do with an increased demand for games to better utilize all available resources due to the nature of xbone/ps4 (many cores with lower ipc/clockrate). Lets just hope we get actual adoption rate for this though! As it stands it looks like AMD is off to a better start with Mantle than Microsoft has managed since DirectX 9, though again the new generation of consoles has as much to do with that as anything else.

flogtr

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
I would guess that it would take at least a couple of years to roll this out assuming that nothing has been in the works until now.
Well, now there is a slightly different story. Something finally began to happen. If they don't step up, AMD probably will try to outrun them.

Datcu Alexandru

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Let's hope a new version of DX and OGL won't be tied to new hardware. If i have to upgrade from my 780TI in 2 years just because they NOW realized driver overhead is bad, well let's just say Mantle will get another buyer. At least they have backwards compatibility with the last generation (7xxx).

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
People (specially AMD/Mantle hater) should thank AMD for created Mantle. Because of AMD, now even OpenGL and the "don't care about PC gaming anymore" M$ DirectX may have the similar thing. Think this way, if Mantle is created by company like Apple, Apple will MADE SURE OpenGL and DirectX cannot do that....

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Why so much hate on pointing out the obvious? AMD is using mantle as a selling point, if DX and OpenGL get on the same plane it is not longer a feature they can claim is exclusive to their GPUs. Fanboys need to get off your high horses, nobody said AMD isnt responsible for this push, and that this isnt for the greater good, it is just tilting one advantage away from AMD is all...it will be the same thing for nVidia if there is something like gysnc and shadow play for example on the AMD platforms, these "features" should not be AMD or nVidia exclusives as they benefit the industry altogether

Yeah, and DX improvements will make all of us go into Win 9 (or whatever version they come up with). I don't trust MS on this one. When it comes out, I'll be a believer. OGL on the other hand. Was about time they started telling devs they do have the way to do what Mantle does.Cheers!

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

I'm all for companies 'pushing' other companies in the gaming arena. M$ has gotten itself out of that arena and as far as 8.0 and 8.1 nah I'll just wait til M$ makes up its mind that we all don't want I-Pads for our pcs or the touch screen junk so it looks like another Vista to me and hope 9.0 makes up the difference like 7.1 did.

timanatu

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
And all of this "closer to the metal" programming, most done poorly, will cause frequent system crashes. What is old is new again.

Freakboi_pa

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Didn't we get away from Hardware Access Level <HAL> for a reason? Bad programming! Can't wait to see the support forums for games after this starts to hit the streets in a few years.

huanwu26

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
A guy from AMD is helping OpenGL become low-level? This confuses me.
Amd already stated that they did not care if mantle became a industry standard, all they were trying to do was shake up the industry. I guessed it worked. As for opengl amd was already going to make a extension that would help opengl have mantle like qualities. Also if it matters amd was going to publish public sdk for mantle

MikeC11

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
This is why competition is healthy. I hope that mantle can give Linux a hand in bringing mainstream gaming to the platform. I find it funny that if DirectX has the ability for LLA that they had to be forced into by AMD. I have both AMD and Intel 1090T and I-7 2700k so no fanboy here. Just like with AMD's New Radeons. I just makes them jump through hoops..

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
What I don't understand is throughout PC history AMD has been willing to share tech, but you don't see Nvidia or Intel returning the favor. What about a Cuda or PhysX enabled AMD graphics card, that would be great.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
A guy from AMD is helping OpenGL become low-level? This confuses me.
If AMD doesn't support it, they won't have a say in it. Which means nVidia and Intel would get to learn what's new first hand AND make a few decisions that (guess what) could favor their hardware more than AMD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS