[SOLVED] Disable Integrated/Dedicated GPU w/ external GPU?

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
I have a Dell Latitude E6520 with integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA NVS 4200M Discrete graphics. I connected a GTX 670 to it via EXP GDC expresscard and everything is working fine. However, in Device Manager I disabled the integrated graphics and the discrete graphics showed a message saying "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems", is it because I connected a new GPU so it decided to disable the discrete GPU? If that's the case, then why didn't it also disable the integrated graphics too? (I manually disabled the integrated graphics after the GTX 670 was connected). If I disable both Intel HD 3000 and NVS 4200M and just leave my GTX 670 enabled, will it cause any problems? Also, if I disable the integrated and discrete graphics, will it improve my CPU temperatures/overall laptop temperature? Also I have MSI Afterburner installed and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to overclock my GTX 670.

EDIT: I just realized I can't put my computer to sleep anymore. Any reasons why?

Last edited:
Solution
Because they are linked with optimus and the igpu is primary, it caused the nvs driver to crash. It didn't automatically disable it, it says it reported a problem, ie crashed.

It won't necessarily cause problems if you have both disabled but you will cause future headaches if the egpu stops working. They can sometimes be finicky.

The heat created by the idle igpu is next to nil so you won't see a difference anyways. And optimus already turns off the nvs when not needed. I would suggest leaving device manager alone as there is no benefit in disabling anything and you are creating a liability.

You could try ocing the 670 but due to the expresscard bottleneck, it may not do much or anything . The cpu may also be a bottleneck depending...
Because they are linked with optimus and the igpu is primary, it caused the nvs driver to crash. It didn't automatically disable it, it says it reported a problem, ie crashed.

It won't necessarily cause problems if you have both disabled but you will cause future headaches if the egpu stops working. They can sometimes be finicky.

The heat created by the idle igpu is next to nil so you won't see a difference anyways. And optimus already turns off the nvs when not needed. I would suggest leaving device manager alone as there is no benefit in disabling anything and you are creating a liability.

You could try ocing the 670 but due to the expresscard bottleneck, it may not do much or anything . The cpu may also be a bottleneck depending on the usage/game.

Solution
Apr 13, 2019
what processor do you use, i don't think the igpu can be disabled completely unless you somehow remove it, also remember if your egpu is bottlenecking because of the cpu you might want to raise the games resolution, remember by doing this the gpu will do more work than the cpu giving you more performance, using msi afterburner with a low res can tell you if your egpu is bottlenecking

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018

You could try ocing the 670 but due to the expresscard bottleneck, it may not do much or anything . The cpu may also be a bottleneck depending on the usage/game.

K, I disabled both GPUs in Device Manager, and it won't do any harm to my computer right (other than if my egpu fails)? And also, because I have an eGPU connected, is it normal that I can't put my computer to sleep anymore? The option is grayed out when I try to select sleep. And my basic understanding of NVIDIA Optimus is that when the laptop is running low on battery power, it switches from the discrete GPU to the integrated GPU, but now that I disabled both GPUs, I also disabled Optimus too right?

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
what processor do you use, i don't think the igpu can be disabled completely unless you somehow remove it, also remember if your egpu is bottlenecking because of the cpu you might want to raise the games resolution, remember by doing this the gpu will do more work than the cpu giving you more performance, using msi afterburner with a low res can tell you if your egpu is bottlenecking

My laptop has an Intel Core i7-2640M (2-core, 3.5GHz) and thanks I will try raising the games resolution