Disable Onboard Video in AMI BIOS

fishermand46

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I've already read that page but I don't know which setting will disable the onboard video

When I'm in the BIOS there are five settings

1. IGD
2. PCI/IGD
3. PCI/PEG
4. PEG/IGD
5. PEG/PCI

I was guessing that #5 would be correct because it would cause the motherboard to look at the pci express slot 1st (which is the the slot I have my Nvidia card in) and then move on to the PCI slot if it didn't find anything.

#5 doesn't have IGD anywhere in the priority and I'm guessing that stands for something like Internal Graphics Device or something like that.

However, when I choose this setting, it still freezes at the Windows splash screen

Yes, that seems to be correct. However, If you have only one graphics card and its PCIe, you would be better off leaving it set to PEG/IGD in case the graphics card poofs.

But apparently now you have mentioned your real problem: "However, when I choose this setting, it still freezes at the Windows splash screen "

You need to tell us more about what's going on. Is there *any* setting where you boot correctly?

Please provide your configuration.

fishermand46

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

The only way I can get it to boot is to Set it to IGD and plug into the on-board graphics card. Then, once I have booted into windows, I can usually Shutdown, plug into the Nvidia card, change back to PEG/PCI and then boot up fine (for a while).

Any time I turn the computer completely off (flip the rocker switch on back) or if I have a system error that shuts the computer down, when it boots up, it will have the same problem. So I have to repeat the same process to get my Nvidia card to work

fishermand46

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Can I disable it in Device manager because I cannot find any setting in the BIOS that explicitly disables the on-board video card and there is no jumper on my motherboard to do so.

fishermand46

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
The
"1. IGD
2. PCI/IGD
3. PCI/PEG
4. PEG/IGD
5. PEG/PCI"

setting mentioned earlier in the thread is the setting that I can find in the BIOS that deals with which ports/cards are enabled/disabled.

So, the setting that should work fine - #4 PEG/IGD - works until you shut down power at the psu switch, or get a system error.

Is your CMOS battery bad? Could that be causing a CMOS reset (dunno what the default is) whenever you pull power from it briefly?

fishermand46

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Yes #4 does work fine untill I shut it completely down. The CMOS settings are all retained and the computer is very new so I don't think it is the battery, but now I've been encountering the same problem even when I try to boot while connected to the on-board card.

What has got me confused is how touch-and-go the whole thing is. Sometimes it will boot when I switch to on-board video card, sometimes it will boot when I go back to the Nvidia card... Sometimes it will boot when I clear the CMOS header, sometimes it won't

It is extremely frustrating! :fou:

"Doc, my arm hurts when I bend it like this."

"Fishermand46, don't bend your arm like that."

Seriously, you haven't talked about your psu. Do you think maybe it can't withstand a heavy draw at startup? Will it boot consistently if you remove the vid card and use the IGD? Do you have another psu to swap in temporarily?

Edit: Yeah, I just re-read everything, and it prolly will work using IGD only. So I'm left with psu swap. What psu are you using?

fishermand46

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
You were right about it being a power supply problem.

I noticed while it was booting, the CPU temp was always around 69-70 degrees Celsius and my Pentium 4 Processor is rated at a max of 67.7 degrees Celsius!!!

I looked at the back of my computer, and the heat sink fan was not running! I got it started with a pencil and now it boots (and runs) great.

I was looking at it at the completely wrong angle. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Twoboxer

bauer5266

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
This is ridiculous. Ok, here goes... my setup:

Motherboard: Biostar G31M7TE Intel G31 Socket 775 Motherboard

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 2.6Ghz 2M 800Mhz 775

RAM: Kingston 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x2048)

Harddrive: WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

PSU/Power Supply: ModXStream Pro 500 Watt ATX EPS12V Modular Power Supply

Video Card: PNY GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 512MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, (Dual Link) DVI, HDTV, VGA

O/S: Windows XP Pro SP3

Issue:
So I get my barebones from TigerDirect, hook it up. Everything works fine. I can boot into windows using the onboard video. I also ordered a PNY 9500 GT from TigerDirect. (Love Tiger) So, I get it unwrapped, stopped drooling and put it in the PCI-E slot. Press the power button and NOTHING. ........
......... the power is on, all fans are working, the video cards fan is working, power supply is working, everything is powered on, nothing is happening. No bios boot, no windows, no nothing.

I have tried MANY MANY MANY things to get this card to do SOMETHING and still it won't boot the bios.

Upgraded the bios first thing. NOTHING

Tried to turn off the onboard video. CAN'T, but you can make it boot from PCIE (PEG) first. So I set the settings to that. NOTHING

Updated windows xp pro ALL THE WAY. NOTHING

Tried a different power supply. NOTHING (300 watt, 250 watt, and 610 watt)

Tried every variation possible in the bios. NOTHING (I'm on my 2nd whole day with this...)

You name it, I tried it.

Unplug the video card, and everything boots up normal and fast.

Tech support from AMI. NOTHING

Tech support from BIOSTAR. NOTHING

Tech support from PNY. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

........ What... the... hell is wrong with this thing????????

Four psus swapped, and no change - I think we can safely assume its not a psu issue.

The fact that it boots and runs on integrated graphics says no memory or basic mobo function problem.

Leavng as the prime candidates vid card (most likely) and mobo. And a very small chance its an OS problem.

Try the vid card in another PC yet? Or another vid card in this one?

brucksport

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
i have the same problem,,,,the same board,,same processor,,bought from tigerdirect,,,but the vid card is a msi rx800,,and i cant get it to work :fou:
i was just reading the forum hoping some found a solution,,

bauer5266

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

The issue was a bad video card. Email me Bucksport if you have anymore questions about troubleshooting! I'd love to help.

brucksport

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

i tred another ati card,,,same result,,,,,,,,i tried a card i pulled from a dell cpu,,,all it says on it was 8964 ver110,,,,,now it boots,but as soon as the welcome screen comes up,,,i get a black screen,,,,whats goin on?

bauer5266

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

Hey! Long time no see Brucksport, how have you been? Well, obviously pretty pissed lol. I don't blame ya.

Try and reset the bios with the Dell video card in it. It might work then. but your problem sounds like windows is trying to load the previous drivers. I had an issue like this once and had to go into safe mode to uninstall the drivers. You might be able to do that also. If windows just does NOT boot up, it might be a registry issue.

Keep me posted!!

brucksport

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
now ive got a geforce 9500 gt ,,,,,,,same problems though,,,,,i still get to the welcome screen ,,then it goes black,,,,,,i think, ive tried all the peg\pci,,,,peg\igd settings,,,none seem to work,,,and im not getting any help from biostar,,,,,,do i jus junk the board?

brucksport

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
i have finally solved the problem,,,,NO THANKS TO BIOSTAR ( who ive been emailing without response) :fou: ill never buy another biostar product,,and i wouldnt recomend that anyone does so either,customer service is non existent,,it seems they dont give a *** so long as they got your money....and even though ive got it working with the biostar board,,its first on my list for the next set of upgrades

G

Im having the same problem as u do...just bought a GT 210....but got the same symptoms as u do... what did u do for it to work?

Shidan (shidan99@hotmail.com)

TRENDING THREADS