Robert

Could anyone explain to me how to turnoff programs in XP that automatically
start when you boot the computer. Older versions of Windows allowed for this
in an easy way. I can find the list of programs that automatically start up
when XP boots, but there is no allowance to turn specific start-up programs
on-or-off....How does one do this with XP?

Thanks for the help and support

irzapper
02/12/05

Robert;
The same as in older versions of Windows...the application itself is the
best place.
Most applications have options to disable at start-up.
Often these options are under "Settings", "Options" or something similar.

Many use MSCONFIG, but that is intended for troubleshooting.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Robert wrote:
> Could anyone explain to me how to turnoff programs in XP that automatically
> start when you boot the computer. Older versions of Windows allowed for this
> in an easy way. I can find the list of programs that automatically start up
> when XP boots, but there is no allowance to turn specific start-up programs
> on-or-off....How does one do this with XP?
>
> Thanks for the help and support
>
> irzapper
> 02/12/05

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Still an easy way in XP. Go to "run" on the start menu, type "msconfig", go to
"startup" and uncheck the ones you don't want to start. When you boot you will
get a warning that you are in a diagnostic mode, check the box that says don't
tell you again.

In news:68129D69-3F20-42A2-BBEF-F4AF2C1B3005@microsoft.com,
Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Could anyone explain to me how to turnoff programs in XP that
> automatically start when you boot the computer. Older versions
> of
> Windows allowed for this in an easy way. I can find the list
> of
> programs that automatically start up when XP boots, but there
> is no
> allowance to turn specific start-up programs on-or-off....How
> does
> one do this with XP?

Answered in another newsgroup. Please do not send the same
message separately to more than one newsgroup. Doing so just
fragments the thread, so someone who answers in one newsgroup
doesn't get to see answers from others in another newsgroup.

If you must send the same message to more than one newsgroup,
please do so by crossposting (but only to a *few* related
newsgroups).

Please reply to the newsgroup