Question Disappearing shared drives and folders

slwhite

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
I have a problem with disappearing shared drives and folders. Here is the setup for ease of discussion.

Computer A: Windows 11 Home
Computer B: Windows 11 Pro
Computer C: Windows 7 Pro

I use wireless networking. Until about 2 weeks ago, all drives between these 3 PCs were shared as intended and visible in "File Explorer" on all 3 PCs. Then about 2 weeks ago I powered up "B" and none of the shared drives or folders from "A" appeared in "File Explorer" on "B". I do see shared drives and folders from "C" on "File Explorer" on "B". I run a music player on "B" which plays music from a shared folder on "A". Since the music plays, there is sharing between "A" and "B" but its shared folder doesn't show up in "File Explorer" on "B". No other shared drive or folder from "A" is displayed in "File Explorer" on "B". I didn't change anything before this happened. I checked the credentials and sharing on "B" and everything appears as it should.

Does anyone know how to get shared files from "A" to show up again in "File Explorer" on "B"?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do you have selected for Windows to manage your shares or are you doing by username/pass?

All the PC are within the same Workgroup?

All are part of a private network?

Do the other public profiles of those PC show up to each other?

Also, if you go to the local machine is the shared drive working properly?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Input IP address or Computer A's name on Explorer's address bar. Windows networking is notorious not able to show other PCs on the same network using Explorer from time to time.

Also check if network profile been change from Private to Public.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZAF6fizFpI

Sometimes Windows won't even let you change network profile, you can use the NetEdit tools on Github, and change Public to Private, of course you can use registry edit, but I'm lazy.
https://github.com/Walkman100/NetEdit

Last edited:

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
There are 2 Function Discovery services that you can change from manual to automatic in Windows Service, but turning it on does not necessarily will solve the problem.