[SOLVED] disappointing performance

pmg225

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
Good afternoon!

6 months ago I received my 3070 and I feel that something wrong is not right. I'm not getting the performance I expected or believed I would.
Before the 3070 I had a 1660 ti where the performance was equal or even better in certain games.

My build consists of:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Hexa-Core 3.4GHz w/ Turbo 3.9GHz Motherboard: Micro-ATX ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING RAM memory: G.SKILL Aegis 8GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000MHz CL16 Graphics Card: MSI GeForce® RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC 8G HDD/SSD: 1 SSD M.2 1TB + 1 SATA 250GB SSD + 2 HDD 1TB Source (PSU): BitFenix Whisper M 750W 80+ Gold Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Monitor Specs: 1440p 165Hz

My first guess would be from the CPU bottleneck. But after watching some videos of a build similar to mine (CPU and GPU) with better results. Leaves to question the RAM or even another defective component.
However, with the 3070 upgrade underway I was forced to upgrade my PSU from 430w to 750w.
After switching to the new PSU some problems arose.
  • First day, Windows only detected a RAM stick. I turned off the computer and swapped one stick slot for the other and it was OK.
  • The next day the computer started beeping that indicated it had no GPU. I turned off the computer, took it out and put the GPU back in the same slot (still 1660 ti at the time)
With this, I soon began to doubt the stability of my Motherboard.

Today, 6 months later, I don't know if something is really damaged causing general instability, therefore worse performance. But not other problems happened since.

I would appreciate any input from you, thank you!

Just in case: UserBenckmark

Solution
A320 motherboard, don't see those that often paired with a 30 series card. I might argue the somewhat low CPU performance is coming from the motherboard getting too warm. Something to monitor anyway. Investing in a decent B450 or X470 motherboard might be the way to go, but then you should also seriously consider a late model Ryzen.

Not sure about a Bitfenix PSU. They make fine cases, but no idea on their PSUs. Still, seems like it would be capable.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A320 motherboard, don't see those that often paired with a 30 series card. I might argue the somewhat low CPU performance is coming from the motherboard getting too warm. Something to monitor anyway. Investing in a decent B450 or X470 motherboard might be the way to go, but then you should also seriously consider a late model Ryzen.

Not sure about a Bitfenix PSU. They make fine cases, but no idea on their PSUs. Still, seems like it would be capable.

Solution