Summergirl_81

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hello,

Suddenly Disk Cleanup does not remove the files it finds. Therefore, the files are growing in number, such as compressed have gone from a few thousand to 248,000, as with each attempt to run Disk Cleanup, nothing is removed.

What can fix this problem?

Solution
Wow that sucks! Thing is I know how to fix this as well. I had to wipe my pc and reinstall windows xp last weekend and now its fine. as for loosing your aps.... oops!!! im sure thats made you a little crazy.

Summergirl_81

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Thank you, both.. I did as you both suggested.. the Disk Cleanup continues to forget to delete Web Client Publishing Temp Files

and as for Compressed Files.. they are no longer even in the list and that is
the category that had thousands of files to be cleaned up

I am at a loss about this.. I already had CCleaner and Quad Registry and PC Cleaner Pro plus PC Health by Paretologic.. and none of those helped and in fact, one of the last two may have caused the problem.. I may go back and check for a restore point from those two.. will have to do that later today.

If either of you knows how to acquire Active X, as my IE says I need it, but I can't find it on the IE home page, it simply doesn't show up,

let me know how to get that on here.. it says I need to have it as an Add-on but no place to find it... maybe I can download it for free from somewhere.

Life with computers is not easy.

Summergirl_81

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I did find how to get Active X enabled.. by going to Internet Options,
clicking onto Security and then Custom.. and scrolling through all
the items listed.

That is good but I still do not have Disk Cleanup working correctly.
It continues to ignore WebClientPublishing Temporary Files and
they remain untouched by cleaning.

That is not too worrisome but it is a mystery.

aj bayliss

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
aftermdoing some research.... use task manager...ctrl/alt/del click task manager...go to process and look for..."pingexe" on the list. if you see this email me if you want. It messed my pc up. nasty virus! if it is eating up memory for no reason95%ish it is the virus! alexbayliss1@gmail.com

Summergirl_81

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I do not have that pingexe. in task master.. however, presently I am allowing a technician in Florida, from PC Cleaners PRO, work on ridding this machine of all the 'bugs' as he calls them, and he did say that isassexe and csrssexe were both as bad, but he has not removed them.. I don't know why .. and he isn't in contact with me so I am not sure if he is still working on this machine, which has gone completely off kilter. It has been a mess with not understanding his accent and his not being in the same room as the machine is. So far DiskCleanup works but is minus about 2 items that used to be on it. On top of that, everything on the pages is magnified beyond being able to click onto OK when needed. I hope this was a good way to go, but am doubting it.

Summergirl_81

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Well, all day long the PC has been in Safe Mode and when I try to get into Normal Setup it says someone is logged onto the computer and will lost data if I restart, but I restarted anyhow after hours of that message, and it continues to be in SAFE MODE
which does not allow for going into System Restore or for re-evaluating SERVICES or much else, except for email is okay.

I have sent an email to the Indian tech 3 times and no reply, but it says the TECH is still running on the machine. This means, I guess, that they are still trying to fix all the errors that have accumulated and this all began when I attempted to get rid of an APPLICATION error MSSHA in Event Viewer which is in Administrative Tools, which is in the Control Panel.

Now, woe is me, ADMIN TOOLS is gone, only Data Sources remains in it, and I will I have to go through the whole list of SERVICES and restart them, manual or automatic, or in some cases disable .. very time-consuming and I am not doing this until I am sure they are done working on this.

If it isn't done by tomorrow, I am cancelling my payment to their organization, which is PC CLEANERS PRO.. which when I downloaded it .. found over 550 errors and one time about 800, this after repeatedly scanning, signing off, rebooting, as they told me through an email to not scan back to back... Since this all has happened, gotten worse, I told them to give me a refund, which is good within 60 days, as their program did not solve any problems such as MSSHA.. I still don't know what that was but I manged to get rid of it myself.

The charge for this PC PRO tech is 100 dollars for a ONE TIME FIX.
I could have taken it to a women tech in town for the same price and she
would have had it fixed in 48 hours or less.. she did reinstall for me 2 years ago when it crashed..

So, long story, but bottom line is I am giving them time to fix this mess,
and then disputing the charge ...my bank is good about this sort of thing.

Meanwhile, Application Management is kaput.

aj bayliss

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Wow that sucks! Thing is I know how to fix this as well. I had to wipe my pc and reinstall windows xp last weekend and now its fine. as for loosing your aps.... oops!!! im sure thats made you a little crazy.

Solution

Summergirl_81

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I am definitely frustrated by this situation mostly because I should not
have believed that a technician in Florida who barely speaks English, and whose accent I did not
grasp at all, is really going to do a total repair, just as well as my local computer expert
would have done.. she charges 100 dollars no matter what needs doing and no matter how
long it takes. Two years ago she even donated some speakers to me.

Now I have to figure out how to get my Audio and capability of playing some
music on this machine. If you know the answer to that, do tell me. It will be
trial and error on my part. I had about 40 songs on here, i.e. Ventura Highway,
and all is gone and it shows no Audio, though I am sure the Real Player is
lurking somewhere. I have not had time to find it. But as for your re-install, that is
a good move as all the junk files are gone and it is a clean slate, so to speak,

Summergirl_81

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Well, the technician was in INDIA.. and worked on this pc by remote for hours and hours.. but in the end of it all, it was corrupted beyond repair.. a virus or 'bug' as he said, had infiltrated.. so soon as he said he could not do much more and I had to re-install, I called someone who did the installation
and I just disabled Application Management and UPS as neither one would
work no matter what.

Now Event Viewer is happy.. no System or Application errors..

Email and Audio and Printer all work.. that's as good as it gets.

Apparently, the worm had disrupted so much that only removal of the
entire program would save the day.

Who knew? I didn't .. as I had downloaded several programs including
PC Health, Speedy PRO, AVG, Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner,
and Quad Utilities, plus another one ERROR something.. and not one
had found the virus/worm/bug.

My computer friend downloaded a TROJAN REMOVER and that did the
job as far as worms and bugs.

But .. not enough to save the computer from needing a new life.

Thank you to those who tried to help out in this mess.
(and I mean it WAS a mess) :ouch: