disk error - press any key to restart

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I built a PC using a Ryzen 7-1700 on a MSI X370 MoBo with a 650EVO M.2 and GTX 1050 as a base. I installed Win10 and it seemed that all was working fine. Before the install I had transferred my USER folders to a separate SSD. Unfortunately, this was the boot drive in my old PC and when I plugged it in my system to use the folders, my PC at startup started popping the Win7 start screen. It booted into the system and all seemed good until I rebooted and the MSI MoBo screen would come up and then a DOS prompt screen with the message disk error (next line) press any key to restart. I do and it boots into the win7 start screen and then into my win10 OS and then all looks to be fine. Now everytime that I start my PC it comes up with the disk error screen and I have to press a key to boot into my OS. Just curious as to why this would be happening and what I need to do to get it corrected?
I forgot to say that I transferred the user folders to another HDD (I haven't moved them back) that I have and reformatted the SSD and then unplugged that from my system. I still get the disk error message at every startup.

Solution

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

I would try to flash the latest BIOS and see if the error message goes away.

Solution

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I always discounted that notion since I have the updated version of the BIOS, but i did it anyway and it cleaned up the disk error message. Now, the other two issues are minor and not affecting performance as far as I can tell, but would be nice if they were just gone.
1. When the PC starts up it still boots into a Win7 start/login screen. I would feel better about the installation of win10 if a win10 start/login screen came up. I just can't help thinking that there is some residual affects of the win7 OS that was on the user folder drive that has somehow stayed in the user folders. I can't think of any other reason that it would still be coming up.
2. My expansion (USB) drives keep generating an explorer window during the startup process, I have to manually close the window or it will stay on my screen. A bit of a nuisance, but not affecting performance as far as I can tell.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
Glad to hear the new BIOS worked. I had a hunch since I recently tried to recover data off a dead hard drive and the computer tried to boot to it. It caused a "IDE device failed" message even after I disconnected the dead hard drive, and the only way to fix it was to flash a BIOS.

1. Hmm I am not really sure what to do here. Just to clarify, tell me if this okay, when you boot-up your computer the login\startup screen is Windows 7 even after you formatted the old drive with Windows 7 and only have a Windows 10 OS installed?

2. You can type "Autoplay" into the search bar and play with the settings of what your computer will do when you plug in external drives. I did try it on my Windows 10 computer and autoplay actually did not do anything with a flash drive, so your mileage may vary.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
1. Yes, I even disconnected the drive after transferring the folders to another drive. I don't dual boot, so I can only think that there must be something in the user folders data that prompted the corruption. I think I am going to try to create a new user folders on my c: drive and see if that does anything.
2. Autoplay settings were the answer.