rvp7788

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Hello,
So i have this problem where my ssd gets unallocated and shows as a new disk every time i shutdown my pc from windows (normal shutdown not forced), when i try to boot after wards it shows the message "bootmgr is missing" i can get around it and get the pc to boot but the shutdown issue keeps happening, this had happened before and was fixed with a clean windows install, i was wondering if maybe you can tell another fix other than doing a clean install.
Thanks.

rvp7788

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
What make/model ssd is it?

I would run checks on the ssd to make sure its okay as it shouldn't do that on a shutdown.
Ty for your answer,
the ssd is from gigabyte i dont know the exact model of it, i ran i checks on in using the windows chkdsk tool and it reported no errors.

Colif

Win 11 Master
gigabyte appear to have software to test their ssd with but without knowing your model, i don't know if it will work or not
https://www.gigabyte.com/Solid-State-Drive/GIGABYTE-SSD-120GB/support#support-dl-utility

I would run that and see if it has any diagnostic tests in it as they might be more accurate than chkdsk.
If ssd tests out ok, it could be the bios that is cause. If drive isn't actually unallocated and its just the bios that is confused, it could be the CMOS battery needs replacing...

rvp7788

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
gigabyte appear to have software to test their ssd with but without knowing your model, i don't know if it will work or not
https://www.gigabyte.com/Solid-State-Drive/GIGABYTE-SSD-120GB/support#support-dl-utility

I would run that and see if it has any diagnostic tests in it as they might be more accurate than chkdsk.
If ssd tests out ok, it could be the bios that is cause. If drive isn't actually unallocated and its just the bios that is confused, it could be the CMOS battery needs replacing...
ok will run more tests to check the disk.
im curious that if it was the ssd fault, wouldn't the issue keep happening even if i do a clean install, the last time this happened i did a clean install and it was fixed and now after a while it happened again. any thoughts?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have any power issues, do you unplug PC after its turned off? I ask as there is a feature in win 10 called Fast Startup. And if you unplug PC after shutdown it can corrupt certain files, and often I have seen it break boot files.

It does seem unlikely that the ssd would use the same areas to store the boot files. But perhaps since they are used on every boot, the ssd does actually prefer certain locations , and those are bad. Its hard to say since all the memory on an ssd should be same speed to access.

The other option is the CMOS battery as if its forgetting the boot method every startup, it could be the boot manager is there but bios is looking for it in the wrong place
i can get around it and get the pc to boot
what do you do to get around it?

rvp7788

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Do you have any power issues, do you unplug PC after its turned off? I ask as there is a feature in win 10 called Fast Startup. And if you unplug PC after shutdown it can corrupt certain files, and often I have seen it break boot files.

It does seem unlikely that the ssd would use the same areas to store the boot files. But perhaps since they are used on every boot, the ssd does actually prefer certain locations , and those are bad. Its hard to say since all the memory on an ssd should be same speed to access.

The other option is the CMOS battery as if its forgetting the boot method every startup, it could be the boot manager is there but bios is looking for it in the wrong place

what do you do to get around it?
i dont think i have fast startup turned on but ill double check it, sometime i do unplugy pc after its turned off to change something in the case but i ve done this before and it didnt cause any issues.
The way that i get around it is by using Easeus WinPE to recover the partitions then i use a bootable windows thumbstick and run certian commands to make it boot agian, commans are diskpart to set the partition that has windows in it to active and bootrec to fixmbr and to rebuildbcd.
after this it shutdown and boots normally. afterwards any shutdown will result in the same issue.

rvp7788

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
okay, its unlikely cause is cmos as you are doing operations on the ssd.

I expect drive to have errors, or I have to think of another reason you need to recreate the mbr files each time.
So i downloaded the gigabyte tool you told me about, it turns out that the ssd has the TRIM feature turned on (i've know this by using windows CMD to check wether it was on/off).
could this be the cause that deletes the mbr files?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you only have the ssd in pc, no other drives?

Windows isn't in a habit of forgetting its boot files. if fast start-up is off already there isn't an obvious reason it would do it on 2 different installs. Its why I am looking at hardware.

rvp7788

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Do you only have the ssd in pc, no other drives?

Windows isn't in a habit of forgetting its boot files. if fast start-up is off already there isn't an obvious reason it would do it on 2 different installs. Its why I am looking at hardware.
no i have a 1tb hdd from seagate.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you right click start
choose disk management
expand the following window to show all columns at both top and bottom of image
Take a screenshot and upload to imgur and show link here.

I wonder if the boot partition is on the hdd. we could be checking wrong drive

could run seatools for windows on hdd - https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

Solution