[SOLVED] Display Driver for brand new graphics card causing games to crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukesuperstarfish

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
I noticed first with cyberpunk, but basically my display drivers, I assume associated with my graphics card, which is brand new along with the rest of the PC I'm using now, is causing games, at random periods of time, to crash. I can see that it is the display drivers causing it using the windows event viewer. When the games crash the screen merely freezes for just a moment then I'm at the desktop. Everything seems to be fine though, and the monitor remains on with the rest of the PC without issue. I've reinstalled the drivers after a clean uninstall using ddu within safe mode, then reinstalling the drivers after a restart, most recent drivers. It's done this on multiple games, so at this point I know it's going to be a consistent problem. I have no idea what really to do at the moment to fix this, or if this is a hardware issue.

and to note, every time the games crash, I check the event viewer, and it says "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

my specs are:
GPU: 3070
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
MotherBoard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS Gaming Motherboard
PSU: NZXT C750 - NP-C750M - 750 Watt PSU - 80+ Gold Certified

Reactions: Quoc Dung
Solution
I was correct in getting a new card. The problem stopped once I installed a different 3070 I ordered. The card I had was faulty. Those who are suffering from this issue, and have gone through all the same procedures and nothing worked, take note that it very well could be a faulty card like it was for me.

Lutfij

Titan
What games are you trying to tax the system with? Where did you source said games from? As for your reinstallation of the GPU driver, instead of rebooting, while in Safe Mode after using DDU, can you try manually installing the latest driver for your GPU in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

BIOS version for your motherboard? What OS are you working with?

lukesuperstarfish

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
What games are you trying to tax the system with? Where did you source said games from? As for your reinstallation of the GPU driver, instead of rebooting, while in Safe Mode after using DDU, can you try manually installing the latest driver for your GPU in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

BIOS version for your motherboard? What OS are you working with?
Windows 10
and the bios version is the latest: 7C56v18

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You have no BSODs?

Have you monitored temps? CPU and GPU?

I'd say run GPU-Z in background and see which game makes the card use most power at PCIE slot, board and the GPU (checking the maximums)

Also if it shows sudden drops in PCIE and 8-pin voltages. It's supposed to show it stays at 12.1 V. Not the most accurate like testing equipment but it might give you an idea if the card's power spikes are too taxing for the PSU.

lukesuperstarfish

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
You have no BSODs?

Have you monitored temps? CPU and GPU?

I'd say run GPU-Z in background and see which game makes the card use most power at PCIE slot, board and the GPU (checking the maximums)

Also if it shows sudden drops in PCIE and 8-pin voltages. It's supposed to show it stays at 12.1 V. Not the most accurate like testing equipment but it might give you an idea if the card's power spikes are too taxing for the PSU.
I have monitored temps, CPU never goes above 70 C and GPU never goes above 68 C
no blue screens of death
and I guess I could give the gpu-z method a try, see what comes up

lukesuperstarfish

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
turns out i was very wrong. Playing Cyberpunk 2077 I was monitoring the specs, and apparently around the time the game inevitably crashed again, my CPU was hitting 90 celsius in max temperatures under full load. Could that be a cause of my issues?

lukesuperstarfish

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
Reviving this thread to update info, for those unfortunate enough to be in my position as well.

I reinstalled windows, reinstalled the drivers a million times over again. On a fresh install of windows and after multiple tests for my other components, the games still crashed, leaving behind event 4101 on event viewer.

Since that was a big disappointment, I went ahead and put in my old graphics card, giving that a test, and low and behold, there was no issue at all. Ran cyberpunk on ultra (very laggy I might say) and played the game for near 2 hours with no problem. So I can assume, the issue was in the graphics card, as I couldn't find a source of issue anywhere else, and couldn't replicate the problem with a much weaker card, a 1660 ti.

Sent back the graphics card today for a refund, and went ahead and ordered another 3070. We'll see if that makes any difference, or it's just the same problem. I will keep this updated, to assist any other souls with the same issues as me.

lukesuperstarfish

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
I was correct in getting a new card. The problem stopped once I installed a different 3070 I ordered. The card I had was faulty. Those who are suffering from this issue, and have gone through all the same procedures and nothing worked, take note that it very well could be a faulty card like it was for me.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.