[SOLVED] Display fixed at 640x480

Doug4907

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
I had a new PC delivered today. Win 10Pro 16GB. I can't afford a graphics card yet so I am using the Intel GPU on the CPU. I have this desktop PC connected to a 6 year old Dell 1920x1200 monitor via a Display Port cable.

It's working fine in all ways except for the display resolution which is showing that 640x480 is the only possible resolution. When I query the monitor it also shows only 640x480, and it is identified as a Generic PnP monitor. I have attempted to update both the monitor and Intel UHD Graphics 630 drivers. I have the latest.

I have allowed Win10 to finish all its updates. No other software is installed.

I do have another monitor to try, but I am old and physically disabled and will have to wait for someone to visit to move monitors for me.

I usually feel proficient at installing an OS and setting up displays, and I have tried all I could find with google.

Solution
FIXED.
I changed the Display Port cable for HDMI ! I can't sure whether the problem is with the Display Port cable or the Dell monitor.

Abt 6 hours wasted.

Many thanks for all the input. I do appreciate your help everyone

Lutfij

Titan
If the system was assembled for you, you should list it's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If anything it looks like the drivers are amiss. Might want to manually download the drivers meant for the UHD 630 and install it.

All graphics adapters have a default low res mode so you can see the display enough to get proper graphics drivers installed. Likely 640 x 480 is that default.
To get full capability yu need a driver installed.
Look again at your process for installing the intel drivers.
Verify, for instance that you down loaded the desktop drivers and not the mobile drivers.
Download the drivers directly from Intel and not some other driver download web site.

Doug4907

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
All graphics adapters have a default low res mode so you can see the display enough to get proper graphics drivers installed. Likely 640 x 480 is that default.
To get full capability yu need a driver installed.
Look again at your process for installing the intel drivers.
Verify, for instance that you down loaded the desktop drivers and not the mobile drivers.
Download the drivers directly from Intel and not some other driver download web site.
Many thanks. Yes I did get the desktop driver from Intel
If the system was assembled for you, you should list it's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If anything it looks like the drivers are amiss. Might want to manually download the drivers meant for the UHD 630 and install it.

Yeh, thanks. Driver for the integrated GPU came from Intel (and I tried others, just in case, without luck,)

MOBO is MSI MAG Z390
HDD 1TB NVMe and 8TB Seagate
PSU 650W
CPU Intel i7 9700 Octa 3GHz
Chassis ?? no idea, a metal box, not relevant, I think
RAM, GPU, OS and Monitor are listed in the OP

Doug4907

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
Yeh, thanks. Driver for the integrated GPU came from Intel (and I tried others, just in case, without luck,)

MOBO is MSI MAG Z390
HDD 1TB NVMe and 8TB Seagate
PSU 650W
CPU Intel i7 9700 Octa 3GHz
Chassis ?? no idea, a metal box, not relevant, I think
RAM, GPU, OS and Monitor are listed in the OP

I thought I was good with PCs but this one has me beat. I used to be an IT Manager before I became old and decrepit. Falling apart rapidly 😩

Doug4907

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
FIXED.
I changed the Display Port cable for HDMI ! I can't sure whether the problem is with the Display Port cable or the Dell monitor.

Abt 6 hours wasted.

Many thanks for all the input. I do appreciate your help everyone

Solution