[SOLVED] Display Port Monitor

May 1, 2020
I am thinking of buying a secondary monitor, but I am not sure if spending around 40 more euros just to get DisplayPort vs HDMI, I have an Nvidia card(GTX 1660S), and it has 3 DisplayPort outputs and 1 HDMI output.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
A secondary monitor is a most useful thing, definitely buy one.
What size/resolution are you looking at?

What is your current monitor and connection?
If your current connection is HDMI, you will need a displayport capable monitor, regardless.

I would spend what is needed for a displayport connection.
HDMI may not support 4k@60hz.
40 EUR for Display Port????? Whut???

The main difference between DP and HDMI is that, DP supports higher refresh rate (above 60Hz)... other than that .... its the basically same..... they are both digital connections.
The reasoning behind 60Hz HDMI is that it's used mainly on TV-s and .... TV's doesn't need higher refresh rate (except if you want to use them for gaming).
But latest HDMI standards should be supporting 60+ Hz refresh rate as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Both standards are capable of delivering a good gaming experience, but if you want a great gaming experience, right now DisplayPort 1.4 is generally better than HDMI 2.0, HDMI 2.1 technically beats DP 1.4, and DisplayPort 2.0 should trump HDMI 2.1. The problem is, you'll need to buy a TV rather than a monitor to get HDMI 2.1 right now, and we're not sure when DP 2.0 hardware will start shipping (RTX 40-series maybe).

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/displayport-vs-hdmi-better-for-gaming (sorry about the videos)

May 1, 2020
40 EUR for Display Port????? Whut???

The main difference between DP and HDMI is that, DP supports higher refresh rate (above 60Hz)... other than that .... its the basically same..... they are both digital connections.
The reasoning behind 60Hz HDMI is that it's used mainly on TV-s and .... TV's doesn't need higher refresh rate (except if you want to use them for gaming).
But latest HDMI standards should be supporting 60+ Hz refresh rate as well.
Well here at least he prices just madly go up when you select a monitor with display port, a monitor that matches the other standarts like the one with HDMI and no DisplayPort cost around 30-40 euros more(One 140 and the other 187, and some other close matches 175-180)

I am thinking of buying a secondary monitor, but I am not sure if spending around 40 more euros just to get DisplayPort vs HDMI, I have an Nvidia card(GTX 1660S), and it has 3 DisplayPort outputs and 1 HDMI output.

Thank you in advance.

Best thing is to buy the same brand and model of screen you currently have. If not, make sure you get one of the same screen panel type and refresh rate at least. Mixing refresh rates and panel types will get you image issues such as flicker or very different looking displays which gets annoying fast.

May 1, 2020
Best thing is to buy the same brand and model of screen you currently have. If not, make sure you get one of the same screen panel type and refresh rate at least. Mixing refresh rates and panel types will get you image issues such as flicker or very different looking displays which gets annoying fast.
I was looking at basically the same display I have that was 27 inches instead of 21.5, but it had no DisplayPort, my only outputs left are display port outputs, there was also another very similar display that had DisplayPort, but it was 180 EUR, compared to the 140eur price of the 27-inch model.
27-inch HDMI - Samsung LF27T350FHUXEN
My current monitor - Samsung F22R350FHU
27-inch with DisplayPort - Samsung S27R650F

How good of an idea would be to use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable?

I was looking at basically the same display I have that was 27 inches instead of 21.5, but it had no DisplayPort, my only outputs left are display port outputs, there was also another very similar display that had DisplayPort, but it was 180 EUR, compared to the 140eur price of the 27-inch model.
27-inch HDMI - Samsung LF27T350FHUXEN
My current monitor - Samsung F22R350FHU
27-inch with DisplayPort - Samsung S27R650F

How good of an idea would be to use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable?

I have used DP to HDMI adapters but the cost for good ones that are more likely to work will be near the extra cost of the monitors with DP ports in the first place.

The cost about $20-30 USD for the ones I have used.

A secondary monitor is a most useful thing, definitely buy one.
What size/resolution are you looking at?

What is your current monitor and connection?
If your current connection is HDMI, you will need a displayport capable monitor, regardless.

I would spend what is needed for a displayport connection.
HDMI may not support 4k@60hz.

Solution