[SOLVED] Display Port - PSU - Not shutting down, not turning on

Oct 11, 2018
Ok, lets try to explain this one :)

First off, i have my PC for 5 years now and its working perfectly fine ever since.

Yesterday i upgraded my Graphics-Card from a GTX760 to a RX5600XT.
Previously i was using DVI Connectors, but now i had to switch over to Display Port. I am using 3 Monitors and had a couple of DP-Cables somewhere.

Issue1: When Display-Port Cables are connected it seems that they are providing some power through Pin20 to the Motherboard. The PC won't turn on. If i unplug the power cable from my monitors then it works.

Ok, so i am able to turn the PC on now. Great! But now another strange thing happens:

Issue2: When shutting down the PC, the fan of my chassis keeps on as well as the CPU Fan as well as the RGB lighting on my new RX5600XT. During shutdown i again turn off the power supply for my monitors but it seems that the PSU is still active also preventing me from thurning the PC on again. Only flicking the power switch at the PSU finally turns everything off.

So right now i always do the following when shutting down:
  • Unplug power supply of monitors
  • Flick the power switch of PSU to off
And when turning on:
  • Power on PSU
  • Start PC
  • Plug in power supply of monitors
But the strange thing is, that sometimes not all 3 monitors get a connection. Sometimes i only end up with 1 being active.

I just ordered 3x VESA certified DP cables that have no pin 20. I hope this will solve all my issues. What do you think?

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
Thanks! Hopefully the new DP-Cables will solve it. In the meantime i went back and installed my old graphics card again and use them via DVI cable. Everything works again perfectly with the old setup.

Oct 11, 2018
Update: After i installed my old graphics card using DVI cables again, i got rid of some problems but suddenly one problem persists.

When i shutdown the PC (using windows menu -> shut down) everything shuts down but the pc fan , cpu fan and graphics card fan kept running. And its not possible to turn on the PC again. I have to flip the switch of the PSU to turn everything off, then on again and then i can start the PC.

I was able to fix this by removing the cmos battery for 15sec.

Last edited: