[SOLVED] DIY power switch for HDD's and SSD's

Mar 11, 2020
Hello, so I would like to be able to shut off some drives from booting up.

My setup was like this before:
#1: School
  • SSD: Windows
  • 3tb sata for storage

#2: Gaming/Movies&Series
  • SSD: Windows
  • 3tb sata Raid 1
  • 3tb sata Raid 1

I was able to switch between the two by turning off sata connections in bios on my previous gigabyte mobo but now after upgrading my asus board does not allow me to do it.

I did some looking up and saw that i can put a power switch on my 15pin sata connections to cut off 5 and 12v power.

My PSU is : Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W atx23

I will be using original 6pin to 3 way molex cable that came with psu and to it ill add 3 non molded 1 molex to 2 sata cables. I will cut 5v and 12v and add a switch on them for each cable.

I have read allot about molex to sata connectors that would catch fire, and i think i am safe because mine are not molded but would it be better if I would add a 3 amp fuse after each switch? would that prevent a possible fire?

My attempt to draw what i want to do:
Schematic.jpg

Thanks in advance :)
Daison

Solution
Thanks, i have seen those, and the ones that you put in your front 5.25 inch bay.
I am trying to make my own front bay with switches. Just wanted some conformation that I was not going to burn down my house :)
I don't see any reason why you can't do what you are planning on....as long as everything else is good....like....you aren't putting too much current through a wire....or you aren't drawing too much from a PSU etc.
Mar 11, 2020
Thanks, i have seen those, and the ones that you put in your front 5.25 inch bay.
I am trying to make my own front bay with switches. Just wanted some conformation that I was not going to burn down my house :)

I don't see any reason why you can't do what you are planning on....as long as everything else is good....like....you aren't putting too much current through a wire....or you aren't drawing too much from a PSU etc.

Reactions: DaisonWAD
Solution