[SOLVED] DNS main server

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wolfxmanjr

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
I have looked changed and tried to fix it from following 20 videos or 15+ fixes none are working my internet won’t link to anything says dns server not working it’s stopping my Xbox laptop and desktop please help!!

Solution
The POWER, DS, US and ONLINE LEDs on the front panel of the cable modem should not be blinking and should remain on continuously. Unplug the modem for 30 seconds then plug it back in. If symptoms persist, contact spectrum for further assistance. There may be a network outage in your area.
Jan 16, 2019
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.110.179(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

OK that is telling me that your DHCP on your router is not working properly, whenever you get a local IP address of 169.254.x.x that is your machine telling you that it is looking for a DHCP server but can't find one. If this is a home machine I'd even disable IPV6 on your LAN card you are never going to need it and working with IPV4 addresses is much easier.

Look on your router settings and check that DHCP is enabled on your LAN connection it will normally default to the 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x range.