Question DNS Server keeps changing by itself (Windows 11)

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
I've been using my university's wifi for the past couple days and I ran into trouble when I was first connecting. It turns out I was using a DNS server that wasn't "compatible", I remember switching my DNS to 1.1.1.1 (although I'm pretty sure I switched it back, and I'm not sure why it defaults to that) and I guess my school wifi doesn't like that. So I switched it to find a DNS server automatically and the wifi worked. Then the next day when I tried to connect, I found out it wasn't working and that the DNS server had been automatically switched back to 1.1.1.1. So I switched it back and it worked again, and it's been doing the same thing ever since. Why does it default to 1.1.1.1 each time, even after I set it to find a DNS server automatically, and does anyone know a fix?

What does IPCONFIG /all say. It normally gets it from the dhcp server but you can hard code it in the ipv4 settings.

I am somewhat surprised 1.1.1.1 doesn't work that is one of the better ones to use.

If you do nslookup www.tomshardware.som

What does it say your dns server is.

You can also force it to use a different dns server

nslookup www.tomshardware.com 1.1.1.1

Now the other thing that can confuse things is newer web browsers have the ability to override the system settings. You will have to look around to find the setting. Most times it is used to run encrypted DNS.

In the long run you are better off using encrypted DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8. Windows 11 should have the ability to use encrypted DNS in the IPv4 settings.