Question do adapter allow you to use more monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Ok so the rtx 3090 only supports upto 4 monitors but will I be able to use more monitors if I use an adapter that has more hdmi ports?

Ok so the rtx 3090 only supports upto 4 monitors but will I be able to use more monitors if I use an adapter that has more hdmi ports?
You have flooded Tom's forum with questions about adapters and multi monitors. Now you are asking about a 3090 that we know from all the other threads that you do not own as your system is also very old. It's a gpu that costs way too much and you most probably won't find it available.

Decide what you want to buy first according to your needs. Multi monitors can be used with ALL GPUs made the past decade and even further back. Do not opt for adapters unless there is NO other way.

Reactions: Krotow

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
You have flooded Tom's forum with questions about adapters and multi monitors. Now you are asking about a 3090 that we know from all the other threads that you do not own as your system is also very old. It's a gpu that costs way too much and you most probably won't find it available.

Decide what you want to buy first according to your needs. Multi monitors can be used with ALL GPUs made the past decade and even further back. Do not opt for adapters unless there is NO other way.
so I already have a 2015 macbook air with an intel hd6000(I know) and it only supports upto 2 external display's but what if I use a usb 3.0 to hdmi adapter? And what if the adapter has muliple hdmi ports?Will I be able to connect my mac to more monitors than 2?

USAFRet

Titan
a usb 3.0 to multiple hdmi adapter
And what does an RTX 3090 have to do with a macbook air?

Please don't tell us you're thinking of some sort of eGPU craziness.
Right?

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
And what does an RTX 3090 have to do with a macbook air?

Please don't tell us you're thinking of some sort of eGPU craziness.
Right?
ok so let me tell me what exactly I was saying. So I was asking if I could connect my macbook air two more display's then the gpu would support by using adapters and the reason I said rtx 3090 because It supports 8k and if I could use adapters to connect more display's then connected then connecting the rtx 3090 to 8 8k displays would be cool right?

USAFRet

Titan
ok so let me tell me what exactly I was saying. So I was asking if I could connect my macbook air two more display's then the gpu would support by using adapters and the reason I said rtx 3090 because It supports 8k and if I could use adapters to connect more display's then connected then connecting the rtx 3090 to 8 8k displays would be cool right?
If you have $35000 to spend on 8x 8K monitors and a RTX 3090, why are you still working with a 7 year old crappy macbook, and pumping that video through a USB port.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...18k/apd/210-alez/monitors-monitor-accessories

No, it would NOT be "cool".

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Then I am entirely 100% unsure of what your question actually is.

"do adapter allow you to use more monitors?"
ok so let me explain this clearly. So my mac is <Mod Edit> and it only supports 2 monitors at max(the intel hd 6000 igpu) but what if I use a usb 3.0 adapter to hdmi adapter that has more hdmi ports?So the adapter 4 hdmi ports but my mac supports 2 monitors at max, but will I be able to connect it to more monitors because I have more hdmi ports?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For a more generalized answer on USB adapters:

Yes, you can add quite a few displays this way. However, each one is effectively a software emulated graphics card/driver. It consumes system memory for the video buffer and uses the CPU for the rendering. The system will run out of memory with a few displays and your CPU performance will plummet with each added adapter.

I don't know what the limit is for any particular system, but it won't be more than a few 4K monitors, let alone 8K at four times the bandwidth (I also doubt anyone makes a USB to HDMI adapter capable of 8K at the moment)

USAFRet

Titan
ok so let me explain this clearly. So my mac is <Mod Edit> and it only supports 2 monitors at max(the intel hd 6000 igpu) but what if I use a usb 3.0 adapter to hdmi adapter that has more hdmi ports?So the adapter 4 hdmi ports but my mac supports 2 monitors at max, but will I be able to connect it to more monitors because I have more hdmi ports?
  1. What specific use case do you have for more than 2 monitors?
  2. Porting video through USB is good for things like a powerpoint presentation. Nothing remotely fast moving.
  3. You cannot port 8k video through USB. Not gonna work.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019

It may be possible, but at best your mac can only support 3 monitor before it lag and freezes; you can simultaneously read as many book as you want, but you only have one brain to process that, it will eventually overload.

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
For a more generalized answer on USB adapters:

Yes, you can add quite a few displays this way. However, each one is effectively a software emulated graphics card/driver. It consumes system memory for the video buffer and uses the CPU for the rendering. The system will run out of memory with a few displays and your CPU performance will plummet with each added adapter.

I don't know what the limit is for any particular system, but it won't be more than a few 4K monitors, let alone 8K at four times the bandwidth (I also doubt anyone makes a USB to HDMI adapter capable of 8K at the moment)
so I will be able to connect 4 monitors right?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the monitors and adapters, and your system's available USB bandwidth. Not going to be able to provide definitive answers for straight hypotheticals.

Most older USB based docking stations generally add at least two display outputs maximum. Newer ones rely that have access to faster USB ports can have more.

Individual adapters will have their own limits, and require an appropriate USB port. If the total bandwidth of all that exceeds the USB controller (internal to the laptop) capabilities, then it will probably start behaving badly or not work.

These won't be anything but displays, not really suitable for gaming or anything.

Reactions: Krotow and chaoyang
Status
Not open for further replies.