[SOLVED] Do cable adapters/ converters kill HDMI 2.1/DP1.4 cables full potential?

Karan Yelve

Honorable
Jun 5, 2016
Hi. Hope everyone is doing well.

I was wondering if cable converters/adapters kill the potential of HDMI 2.1 cables or DP 1.4 cables. For example if I were to use a simple/cheap adapter for my HDMI 2.1 cable (Mini HDMI to HDMI) will it work without any issues or will I suffer loss in quality, flickering or Free Sync not working correctly etc.

Thanks!

Solution
Can buy mini Hdmi to full size Hdmi in one cable. Can also use Dvi to Hdmi as well. For gpu temporary place holder, i assume, isn't going to matter all that much so any sort of adapter or cable you go with will work to get you running. No quality degradation being digital or potential to that fact other than refresh rate which more than likely will be limited to 60Hz unless monitor is capable of doing higher with Hdmi 1.4.

Fyi, there's no such thing in cable versions. Its just high speed and ultra high speed, they're just copper wires after all. What matters is the port version itself concerning capabilities and Hdmi is backwards compatible so any cable connected will work.

Lutfij

Titan
Cables that are sold tend to have their specs tell you what you're loosing when using the cable, as you've stated. Please note that often times moving from a higher standard to a lower standard can and will affect your data transmission, meaning lower resolution. Often times bad quality cables also tend to give the same thing.

So, to ask, what sort of a cable are you looking at and what devices are you trying to pair with said cable? Best include the make and model of your monitor and the GPU. Flickering can occur for many reasons, one might be lack of power to GPU or that your monitor is overclocked.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If are inquiring about plug size, mini to standard, Displayport isn't affected and afaik Hdmi shouldn't be either. That's if you're asking this question.

Some info here

How is Mini DisplayPort different from full-size DisplayPort?

It isn't. Mini DisplayPort (mDP) is just a different shape connector for the DisplayPort standard. It isn't some kind of completely different video standard. It is just an alternative connector that is sometimes used in place of the full-size DisplayPort connector. The electrical signals it carries are exactly the same as the full-size connector. The capabilities of DisplayPort are the same regardless of whether a full-size DP connector or a Mini DP connector is used. The only difference is the physical shape of the connector. If you have a laptop with a Mini DisplayPort output, you can just get a mDP to DP adapter or use an mDP to DP cable to attach to your monitor. There is no difference between the Mini DP connector and full-size connector other than the physical shape.

Karan Yelve

Honorable
Jun 5, 2016
Cables that are sold tend to have their specs tell you what you're loosing when using the cable, as you've stated. Please note that often times moving from a higher standard to a lower standard can and will affect your data transmission, meaning lower resolution. Often times bad quality cables also tend to give the same thing.

So, to ask, what sort of a cable are you looking at and what devices are you trying to pair with said cable? Best include the make and model of your monitor and the GPU. Flickering can occur for many reasons, one might be lack of power to GPU or that your monitor is overclocked.
I used to have a 2060S but it died a few days back. I was using a DP port back then so I had no issues with it. Recently I was able to borrow an old Zotac 750Ti from a friend but it has a Mini HDMI port and two DVI-D ports which my monitor Acer KG241QS does not natively support. The monitor supports 2 HDMI 2.0 port and 1 DP port. I already own a HDMI 2.1 cable but to use it I would need to use a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter or converted. I understand that I cannot take advantage of HDMI 2.1 which is fine. I'm looking to find out if the mini HDMI to HDMI converter/adapter would sap my monitor or the cables potential

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can buy mini Hdmi to full size Hdmi in one cable. Can also use Dvi to Hdmi as well. For gpu temporary place holder, i assume, isn't going to matter all that much so any sort of adapter or cable you go with will work to get you running. No quality degradation being digital or potential to that fact other than refresh rate which more than likely will be limited to 60Hz unless monitor is capable of doing higher with Hdmi 1.4.

Fyi, there's no such thing in cable versions. Its just high speed and ultra high speed, they're just copper wires after all. What matters is the port version itself concerning capabilities and Hdmi is backwards compatible so any cable connected will work.

Solution