[SOLVED] Do hard drives automatically isolate bad sectors, if so where can i find the Logs with this info ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2019
I was thinking of partitioning the bad sectors of my hard drive, during my research I have now understood that the hard drives software automatically does the job, if this is true, can someone indicate me to where I can find the log with this info plz?

Thanks

Taylor

Solution
You would need to view the drive's Grown Defect List (G-list). That's usually not accessible via standard ATA commands but most drives provide such info via a debug terminal or via Vendor Specific ATA commands (VSCs).

WDMarvel (WD) and SHTR (Samsung) have demo versions which are able to display this info. Seagate's G-list can be viewed via its serial terminal, at least in older models.
You would need to view the drive's Grown Defect List (G-list). That's usually not accessible via standard ATA commands but most drives provide such info via a debug terminal or via Vendor Specific ATA commands (VSCs).

WDMarvel (WD) and SHTR (Samsung) have demo versions which are able to display this info. Seagate's G-list can be viewed via its serial terminal, at least in older models.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.