Question Do i have enough power for two gpus?

Jay_16

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi, I want to do a bit of ether mining on the side, but not sure if my pc can handle the cards.

My power supply is gold certified 700w.

i currently have an rtx 2060 but i was wondering if i could also add like Ti card in there. or a low power usage one to boost my MHs

Any ideas?

Hi, I want to do a bit of ether mining on the side, but not sure if my pc can handle the cards.

My power supply is gold certified 700w.

i currently have an rtx 2060 but i was wondering if i could also add like Ti card in there. or a low power usage one to boost my MHs

Any ideas?
You need to list all the system parts and the brand, model and age of the power supply.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Not with the immediate intent to purchase a new PSU.

Use the link and the listed calculators to determine the power requirements of your system. If any component has a power range then use the high end wattage value.

Pay close attention to the recommended PSU wattage listed in GPU specifications.

Also do you own manual wattage total and add 25%.

As I understand the rtx 2060 specs recommended PSU is 500 watts. Likely that, overall, your 700 watt PSU will be insufficient if you add another GPU.

= = = =

That said, my thought is that you should reconsider your mining plans.

Mining is very demanding on a system. And with all the current problems regarding the availability of GPU's you may not wish to put your rtx 2060 (or any other GPU for that matter) at risk. Along with the host computer in general.

Especially when it is very unlikely that the mining will be profitable.

Successful mining is not an "on the side" proposition. Mining is 24/7 with multiple banks of multiple mining rigs.

Google "bit mining rigs images". See who/what you are competing with.....

Jay_16

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Reference:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Not with the immediate intent to purchase a new PSU.

Use the link and the listed calculators to determine the power requirements of your system. If any component has a power range then use the high end wattage value.

Pay close attention to the recommended PSU wattage listed in GPU specifications.

Also do you own manual wattage total and add 25%.

As I understand the rtx 2060 specs recommended PSU is 500 watts. Likely that, overall, your 700 watt PSU will be insufficient if you add another GPU.

= = = =

That said, my thought is that you should reconsider your mining plans.

Mining is very demanding on a system. And with all the current problems regarding the availability of GPU's you may not wish to put your rtx 2060 (or any other GPU for that matter) at risk. Along with the host computer in general.

Especially when it is very unlikely that the mining will be profitable.

Successful mining is not an "on the side" proposition. Mining is 24/7 with multiple banks of multiple mining rigs.

Google "bit mining rigs images". See who/what you are competing with.....
I don't plan on selling the etherium right away, I actually want the coin because I believe it has potential so it doesn't need to be super profitable. More just breaking even. But ok is there no low power consumption cards that might cope on the 700w?

Ralston18

Titan
Just as a general observation I will say no - there are no low power consumption cards that will work.

Mining (any crypto) needs power whether you intend to make a profit or not.

https://zipmex.com/au/learn/bitcoin-mining-hardware/

Again you are taking a risk (but that is up to you) of damaging your system in some manner for comparatively very little gain.

Breaking even is one thing. Breaking your system is another....

There may be other ideas and thoughts on the matter. Risk is subjective.

Good points from Ralston18. ^^^

What is the make/model of your psu?
Gold rating and 700w means little.
In fact 700w is a clue; modern quality units seem to come in 650/750/850
Quality means all.
A poor psu will not deliver advertised power and will do even less in the confines of a case where heat builds up.

What is your processor? Is it overclocked where it draws extra power?
Here is a handy chart as to what is recommended for different graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Considering the current high cost of good graphics cards, your plan may not yield what you hope for.
What cards are you looking at?

Jay_16

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Good points from Ralston18. ^^^

What is the make/model of your psu?
Gold rating and 700w means little.
In fact 700w is a clue; modern quality units seem to come in 650/750/850
Quality means all.
A poor psu will not deliver advertised power and will do even less in the confines of a case where heat builds up.

What is your processor? Is it overclocked where it draws extra power?
Here is a handy chart as to what is recommended for different graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Considering the current high cost of good graphics cards, your plan may not yield what you hope for.
What cards are you looking at?
aerocool 700W intergrator 80plus gold rated

aerocool 700W intergrator 80plus gold rated
Your unit is very low on this psu suitability list:
I do not see a gold rated psu named as such.
Can you provide a link to the specs of your unit?
Failing that can you post a photo of the data plate on the side of the psu?

Ridiculous? Did you post this question just to be told what you wanted to hear? You don't need a new PSU. Your existing one is more than capable of running a 2060 AND whatever else you want to put in there. You could put a 3090 in there and it would still be perfectly fine.
By all means, please do that @TommyTwoTone66 . Please put a 2060 and a 3090 and try to power it with that PSU and tell us what happens.

You are starting to give dangerous advices man. You should educate yourself a bit more about PSUs and their quality's importance in the system.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ridiculous? Did you post this question just to be told what you wanted to hear? You don't need a new PSU. Your existing one is more than capable of running a 2060 AND whatever else you want to put in there. You could put a 3090 in there and it would still be perfectly fine.

Dissent and discussion is one thing, you've taken it upon yourself to troll this thread and the OP with dangerous advice. Its been well established that the OP's PSU is poor quality and not even worthy of the power it is "rated" at.

This is your only warning this type of dangerous advice and behavior is unacceptable here. You will no longer be replying to this thread.

AtrociKitty

Reputable
Apr 23, 2020
Generally speaking, 700W is fine for mining with two mid-tier cards, provided the rest of your system isn't pulling much power. Etherium mining doesn't use much power when your cards are properly optimized for it. For example, I'm running two high-end cards (RTX 3080 and RTX 2080 Ti) off an 850W PSU right now. The whole system only pulls 480W at the wall, so there's plenty of headroom.

Also, I'm quite surprised by the heavy-handed moderation in this thread. It's true your PSU isn't of great quality, but TommyTwoTone66's assertion that 700W is sufficient power for mining with two cards is absolutely correct. I'd even go a step further and say it's common knowledge in the mining community, given that your cards should be configured with a reduced power limit. It's worth getting a quality PSU if you plan on mining 24/7, but 700W is a sufficient power budget.