[SOLVED] Do i have to enable AHCI before cloning my HDD to SSD?

Jun 1, 2019
Hello guys,
i want to upgrade my asus laptop from hdd to ssd
i got samsung 860 EVO
i want to replace the laptop hard drive to the ssd without reinstalling windows
and i want to keep all my data , Apps and settings.
i'm planing to use the Samsung Data Migration software
but while i was reading installation guide i came across this tip :
''The best way to enable AHCI is to go to BIOS and enable AHCI mode, and then install the operating system. Boot the system, enter BIOS setup, and change SATA settings from IDE to AHCI. ''

so now i'm totally confused,
do i have to go ahead and enable AHCI before i start cloning?
or i don't have to since i'm actually going to migrate my operation system not installing it

any help and tips is appreciated
thanks in advance

Solution
but from what i seen on some guides that it might be unable to boot up the laptop if i didn't make the correct settings first?
If you are just cloning the drive then all the current BIOS settings will work with the new drive. They are both SATA drives. Most likely your BIOS is already in AHCI mode.
Jun 1, 2019
So you are currently in IDE mode? You are better enabling AHCI mode and there are ways to do it after you clone your drive. Clone your drive first and then switch modes.
Hi and thanks for replying
actually i'm a total newbie on this stuff
so honestly i don't know what mode i'm on at the moment
which is why i decided to ask here for help before i start upgrading

Jun 1, 2019
Well i decided to be brave and cloned my hdd drive to the new ssd, removed the old drive and replaced it by the new one
turned on laptop and yay everything is working fine :D(y) didn't have to change any bios settings or stuff

slingsrat

Honorable
May 31, 2016
but from what i seen on some guides that it might be unable to boot up the laptop if i didn't make the correct settings first?
If you are just cloning the drive then all the current BIOS settings will work with the new drive. They are both SATA drives. Most likely your BIOS is already in AHCI mode.

Reactions: MTison
Solution
Jun 1, 2019

yep actually that's true
i just was too scared to go ahead and start the upgrading process and stuff since it's my first time and didn't want to screw things up:D
anyway i'm so happy things was simple and easy
again thank you very much for trying to help 🌹🌹