[SOLVED] Do I need 2 nvme m.2 drives?

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys

I need to build a new PC for the missus. She uses it for work (architecture) and so will use it for 3d modeling of buildings. I Will probably go for a Ryzen 5800x so currently deciding which motherboard to get.

Most of the more budget motherboards have capacity for 1 nvme m.2. Is there really a need to get a motherboard with the capacity for 2 nvme m.2s so you can have 1 for the OS and programs and another for data?

Many thanks, Andrew

Solution
Need? No.

Multiple drives? Thats all personal preference.
I much prefer one drive for the OS and applications, and other drives for actual data files. CAD/photo/video/etc.

Other people prefer the simplicity of a single large drive.

Whichever way you go, what you DO need to think of is a good backup routine. Too many people do not think of that until 5 minutes after they need it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's up to you and your budget. there is little real world difference between a nice sata ssd and an nvme one. but some like to say they have 2 or more and spend for it.

won't be a major performance boost and considering the added mobo cost for 2 pcie m.2 slots (many only run sata on the second slot so look close) i don't find it worth it myself. i have one for windows and some programs and then a sata ssd i was using as a drive for my vm's. and then 3 more good ol spinning disks for various storage and work uses. i don't see much difference in access times for any of the drives. the sata/nvme drives are faster for sure, but i see little difference between them.

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
I have pcie m.2 on my PC for the OS and program and another for data. I can definitely notice the difference between this setup and ssd drives. But I'm moving huge amounts of data around.

This PC will move less data around but still, I think it would be worth utilizing the nvme m.2.

If your motherboard only has one nvme m.2 is it best to use it for data or OS and programs?

USAFRet

Titan
Need? No.

Multiple drives? Thats all personal preference.
I much prefer one drive for the OS and applications, and other drives for actual data files. CAD/photo/video/etc.

Other people prefer the simplicity of a single large drive.

Whichever way you go, what you DO need to think of is a good backup routine. Too many people do not think of that until 5 minutes after they need it.

Solution