[SOLVED] Do i need a better psu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2022
Hello, i just got a i5 6600k instead of a i5 6400 and i wanted to overclock it, altho it seems like it crashes randomly when playing games but when stresstesting it its stable. Im still using the psu from the prebuilt pc which is some kind of lenovo 450W 80+ bronze.

Specs:
Gigabyte z170 gaming k3
i5 6600k
1060 6g (Lenovos version)
Corsair valueselect 2133 mhz 2x8GB cl15
Cooler master 212 Evo v2
Crutial BX480 SSD
Some Seagate 1TB prom the prebuilt pc

So do i need to uppgrade the psu because the cpu is overclocked and draws more power? Stress tests peak at around 120W and Gpu 140W

Solution
No need for multiple threads. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fractal-design-ion-sfx-gold-650w

You have a 6+ year old 450w psu of questionable and debatable quality, from a time when such psus were generally only warranted for 1-3 years at best. It's also highly likely to be group regulated and won't put out anything close to its rated 450w on the 12v rail. It won't be 80% efficient or better, so at high loads puts out a ton of wasted heat, cooking the low grade caps etc, shortening it's own lifespan.

Basically a time-bomb waiting to go off.

The ions are very decent, ranking just behind the class leading Corsair, so would be a...

DSzymborski

Titan
If you're doing any overclocking, you really should replace it. It's not surprising to see it crashing in games but not in stress testing; games tend to be spikier in their usage and that's the kind of thing that can really stymie a cheap PSU. And sometimes even a decent PSU; some pretty good PSUs have had serious issues with the transient loads of Nvidia 30 series GPUs.

A quality PSU will last you into future builds.

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in the above, prebuilt...?

Perhaps try and make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version. However if your PSU is as old as the processor in your specs list, I'd be inclined to suggest a reliably built PSU for your future aspirations. In fact you should be looking into a reliably built 550W PSU, to have headroom with overclocking. If you intend to add more parts/upgrades then look into a 650W unit.

May 6, 2022
How old is the PSU in the above, prebuilt...?

Perhaps try and make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version. However if your PSU is as old as the processor in your specs list, I'd be inclined to suggest a reliably built PSU for your future aspirations. In fact you should be looking into a reliably built 550W PSU, to have headroom with overclocking. If you intend to add more parts/upgrades then look into a 650W unit.

The psu is around 6-7 years old at this point, i got it 2016 but it could have been sitting for a while.
Bios is the latest version aswell, I was looking at getting a Fractal Design Ion Gold 550W but i dont know if its good or bad,

Mar 12, 2022
The psu is around 6-7 years old at this point, i got it 2016 but it could have been sitting for a while.
Bios is the latest version aswell, I was looking at getting a Fractal Design Ion Gold 550W but i dont know if its good or bad,
In my opinion, you really should change your PSU because it seems too old.

And open a new thread for Fractal Design Ion Gold 550W so you can get the reviews from here.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No need for multiple threads. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fractal-design-ion-sfx-gold-650w

You have a 6+ year old 450w psu of questionable and debatable quality, from a time when such psus were generally only warranted for 1-3 years at best. It's also highly likely to be group regulated and won't put out anything close to its rated 450w on the 12v rail. It won't be 80% efficient or better, so at high loads puts out a ton of wasted heat, cooking the low grade caps etc, shortening it's own lifespan.

Basically a time-bomb waiting to go off.

The ions are very decent, ranking just behind the class leading Corsair, so would be a considerable improvement all around and definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.