Question Do I need a different GPU to support 4K monitor?

Feb 29, 2024
Hi All,
I have an old GPU Sapphire Vapor-X AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5
I am looking to buy a 4k monitor.
Do I need to upgrade my GPU to support it?
Currently I have 4 monitors plugged in: 3 in HD resolution and 1 monitor in QHD 2560x1440

Just so you know I don't use it for gaming, only for work but nothing very GPU intensive. I am not a designer, CAD or use Photoshop.
I have an AMD Radeon RX 590 8GB GPU in my gaming rig that collects dust.
I could swap them over. Perhaps it's a good idea as the newer GPUs are more energy efficient, less heat and electricity used.
Please advise.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and models of all your monitors? As for your GPU, the architecture can only handle anything above 1600p, on the HDMI and DP connectors, using this as a reference;
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/R9-270X-GAMING-2G/Specification
but the refresh rate won't be 60Hz at 4K resolution.

Yes the RX590 would be a better prospect if you're thinking of 4K at 60Hz. I would however be wary of your PSU in your build if it's as old as the R9 270x.

Reactions: MalcolmKK

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The swap is wise.

A single 4K panel is equivalent to 4 1080p panels, you may not have the capability to drive all those at once. 5 is actually a very atypical number for a consumer GPU 3-4 is typical. I am surprised 4 works with the 270X. I recall needing an active adapter for one of the outputs to work. But that is likely card dependent.

Unless you are plugging some into an integrated chip from the CPU, then whatever that supports, plus the GPU support would be the maximum monitors supported.

Still a single monitor at higher resolution is still less of a headache than 4 monitors. Each monitor requires a clock pulse (sync/pixel) which is why there are display limits on most cards, even many with 4 ports can only use 3 at once.

Reactions: MalcolmKK
Feb 29, 2024
Make and models of all your monitors? As for your GPU, the architecture can only handle anything above 1600p, on the HDMI and DP connectors, using this as a reference;
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/R9-270X-GAMING-2G/Specification
but the refresh rate won't be 60Hz at 4K resolution.

Yes the RX590 would be a better prospect if you're thinking of 4K at 60Hz. I would however be wary of your PSU in your build if it's as old as the R9 270x.
3 out of 4 are BenQ monitors
BenQ EW2440L LED - 27 August 2015
BenQ EW2775ZH 27 - 23 May 2017
BenQ EW2780Q 27 - 20 January 2021
4th one is some Asus that is similar in spec to BenQ EW2775ZH.
The old BenQ EW2440L LED is going to be replaced with BenQ EW3270U

This system is much newer with a decent PSU so it should be fine.
Actually the only ancient item in it is this GPU but it holds up! :)

Feb 29, 2024
The swap is wise.

A single 4K panel is equivalent to 4 1080p panels, you may not have the capability to drive all those at once. 5 is actually a very atypical number for a consumer GPU 3-4 is typical. I am surprised 4 works with the 270X. I recall needing an active adapter for one of the outputs to work. But that is likely card dependent.

Unless you are plugging some into an integrated chip from the CPU, then whatever that supports, plus the GPU support would be the maximum monitors supported.

Still a single monitor at higher resolution is still less of a headache than 4 monitors. Each monitor requires a clock pulse (sync/pixel) which is why there are display limits on most cards, even many with 4 ports can only use 3 at once.
Yes, you are right two monitors are DVI, 1x is on HDMI and 4th one is HDMI plugged into HDMI to DisplayPort(I believe) adapter.

The AMD CPU (Ryzen 9 5950X) I have does not have integrated graphics so unfortunately I cannot use the video output(s) on the motherboard.

I think I eventually make all 4 Benq with Low Blue Light technology as the Asus has low blue light tech but it's different and stands out of the other 3. The temperature is different and I cannot make it as warm as the Benq ones.