AtomicPrime

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
Currently I have an i5-7400 paired with a RX 580 and thinking if I should upgrade my CPU or get an SSD instead.
Title says it all. I have about 400 dollars to use and if anyone can recommend some good CPUs that'd be appreciated.

That certainly makes it a little more difficult, but I'd still look at a similar setup. Are you opposed to buying used?

It's not worth putting any money into your current platform. While there's definitely gains to be had, the price is staggering. A used i7 can fetch near 300usd. See if you can find a combination of parts similar to the list on the used market, and buy a new ssd. You should be able to come in under budget that way.

What speed and capacity is your current ram? Being a 7th gen intel, I'm assuming its ddr4. If its a good kit of 3000mhz or better, you could save money by reusing. But if it's any slower than that, I'd sell your current setup complete with ram and buy new. Ryzen likes fast ram. Should help offset a large portion of the cost.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Currently I have an i5-7400 paired with a RX 580 and thinking if I should upgrade my CPU or get an SSD instead.
Title says it all. I have about 400 dollars to use and if anyone can recommend some good CPUs that'd be appreciated.
Buy SSD like Samsung then you'll notice the performance from your PC
Capacity depend on you, 500GB will do for OS and games

Reactions: dextexter

Power94

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
If your MBO support NVME buy NVME SDD if not buy normal SSD and you should be good. This CPU is good for fullhd gaming.