yourender

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
Hey there, I recently started noticing extremely high temps with my very strange brand of water cooler. It is a Nuvoton, I hadn't even heard of them until until I tried adjusting my water coolers fan speeds in a desperate attempt to fix my high temps. I bought this PC prebuilt and they really skimped on the cooler. But anyways I got distracted there, I have replaced thermal paste and cleaned the entire unit but still my Intel i7-8700k is reaching 98 degrees Celsius during games such as Rainbow Six Siege and COD: Wazone. Needless to say this is really worrying me but I did some research and it seems as though with the age of my PC (4 years this June) it may need a new cooler. But if anyone has any other ideas before I drop the money it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

yourender

Solution
If the super i/o on the motherboard has gone bunk, fans spinning won't mean anything if they don't change speeds to match the load. Fans spinning at idle speeds or even a pump not at full voltage, won't do anything to stop load temps from jumping up.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
While the system is running, feel the cpu block, the tubing, and the radiator with your hands. They should all have some warmth to them - nothing scalding hot though.
Now, if you find that there's a high concentration of heat in the cpu block, then you've got a circulation problem; the pump is either clogged or broken, either of which would warrant a replacement.
The vast majority of these liquid coolers were not designed to be repaired; you use it until the pump is no good, and toss the whole thing out - well, maybe keep the fans if they're still good.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nuvoton claim to fame is the super i/o controller chip on the motherboard, so if you looked through the pc in order to get a name of the cooler, it's likely you ended up there. You won't be able to determine exactly what cooler you have other than physical inspection since just like the psu, it has no data hookup. I've never heard of Nuvoton actually branching out into AIO's from high end microchip design/manufacture.

Might be able to tell from a couple of pictures, mainly the pump, and quite often the fan unless that's a replacement.

Part of the job included for the super i/o chip is temperature/voltage/fan speed sensors.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If the super i/o on the motherboard has gone bunk, fans spinning won't mean anything if they don't change speeds to match the load. Fans spinning at idle speeds or even a pump not at full voltage, won't do anything to stop load temps from jumping up.

Solution

yourender

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
So just buy a new water cooler and don't use the PC till it comes in is what I take from it, don't really want to push my hardware back to 98 degrees so I'll just assume the cooler is busted, thank you guys for your help, it is truly appreciated!