[SOLVED] Do i need my default ISP modem/router to port forward?

Jul 30, 2021
I want to port forward for my mc server and security cameras.
Even tho my router/modem has the option for it,it doesn't work.
I called my ISP and they said that my modem/router has the option for it,but that it's not supported,and that they don't know if they are gonna update it(i should have gotten a better router when they were setting up the network).
Now i want to buy Tenda Wireless N300 Router F3.
It has 3 antennas,good coverage and option for port forwarding listed in Virtual Server.
When i buy it and i connect it to my main modem/router with LAN cable.
One end goes into my main routers LAN port and the other end goes to the Tenda routers WAN-Internet port.
So it looks like this basically:
Internet -> Main Router -> LAN Port(s) -> LAN Cable -> Internet-WAN Port on Tenda -> LAN Port(s) -> ...
You get the point.
I know setting up internet and SSID name and password should work because i did it before with an old router,but i didn't PF on it because i didn't need it back then.
When i set up the Tenda router will the port forwarding work because it's connected to my main router which doesn't support PF.
By any chance can i use Tenda as my main router because the current sucks,it is just a box with no antennas and it has bad coverage.
Would i just take the cable out of the current one and plug it into Tenda and it's gonna work or is the ISP gonna block the connection when they see that im using some other router.
And last question:Is Port Forwarding ISP Router Dependant?
Do i have to use some of my ISPs routers that support PF(excluding mine)or can i use any router to port forward as long as it supports it like above mentioned Tenda?

Solution
Good thing you did not block out more of the IP. Although it is not all of the range most IP that start with 100.x.x.x are form of private IP called carrier NAT.

Now you can go look up what exact values are in that range but it is simpler to just use a site like whatsmyip and compare the values. If they are different it means there is another router in the path doing NAT. That means that router has the public IP and giving your router private IP.

Many ISP now do this especially if they are smaller or newer. There is a massive shortage of IPv4 addresses and the vast majority of people do not need one.

So I think you are out of luck unless the ISP will give/sell you a public IP. In addotion you can not replace this...
Not sure why the ISP router does not support port forwarding, would be rather rare to not have the feature on anything say less than 5 years old.

Port forwarding only works on the router that has the actual public IP address which is the ISP router. I mean if the traffic somehow magically gets to the new router you buy it could use the same magic to get to the server.

You would either have to use DMZ or port forwarding in the ISP router pointing to your new router and then do a second set of port forward rules in your new router.

It all depends on what the "cable" going to the ISP router is. If you have a modem in your house that the ISP router plugs into then it should work. Most ISP do not restrict use of your own router......well att does but all their routers have a very strange form of port forwarding to get around this problem.
If you do not have another box (modem) then the cable coming into the house is likely a DSL phone line. That would mean the router has a modem in it.

The easiest method is to just replace the router if there is a external modem.

If that does not work see if the ISP will put their router into bridge mode. This makes it function as just a modem and then your new router would be given the public IP address. Note be sure you check that you are actually getting a public ip address, not all ISP give out public ip any more.

Reactions: SplitValMiner
Jul 30, 2021
Not sure why the ISP router does not support port forwarding, would be rather rare to not have the feature on anything say less than 5 years old.

Port forwarding only works on the router that has the actual public IP address which is the ISP router. I mean if the traffic somehow magically gets to the new router you buy it could use the same magic to get to the server.

You would either have to use DMZ or port forwarding in the ISP router pointing to your new router and then do a second set of port forward rules in your new router.

It all depends on what the "cable" going to the ISP router is. If you have a modem in your house that the ISP router plugs into then it should work. Most ISP do not restrict use of your own router......well att does but all their routers have a very strange form of port forwarding to get around this problem.
If you do not have another box (modem) then the cable coming into the house is likely a DSL phone line. That would mean the router has a modem in it.

The easiest method is to just replace the router if there is a external modem.

If that does not work see if the ISP will put their router into bridge mode. This makes it function as just a modem and then your new router would be given the public IP address. Note be sure you check that you are actually getting a public ip address, not all ISP give out public ip any more.
Here is my router/modem settings that i could find that have any type of IPs belonging to it: Does my modem/router have public IP and
Can i port forward with Tenda router by connecting it with lan cable as i mentioned.My main modem/router uses the DSL Phone Line and it is kinda old thats why PF doesn't work.

Good thing you did not block out more of the IP. Although it is not all of the range most IP that start with 100.x.x.x are form of private IP called carrier NAT.

Now you can go look up what exact values are in that range but it is simpler to just use a site like whatsmyip and compare the values. If they are different it means there is another router in the path doing NAT. That means that router has the public IP and giving your router private IP.

Many ISP now do this especially if they are smaller or newer. There is a massive shortage of IPv4 addresses and the vast majority of people do not need one.

So I think you are out of luck unless the ISP will give/sell you a public IP. In addotion you can not replace this router with the one you mentioned. You need a router with a ADSL modem in it.

Reactions: SplitValMiner
Solution