[SOLVED] Do I need to upgrade my PSU?

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I'm going to upgrade my GTX 750ti to a GTX 1660ti. I plan on adding 3 old Sata HDD's and might someday run dual GTX 1660ti's if possible. My Motherboard supports SLI / Crossfire. Do I need to upgrade my 4 1/2 year old XFX TS550 PSU? If so, could you recommend a PSU? I live in the U.S.

My Rig,
Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 Gaming Case
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Processor
Raijintek Pallas CPU Cooler w/ Fan
HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 1866
EVGA Geforce GTX 750ti
LG BDRW
2 x 140mm Red LED Case Fans
3 x 120mm Black Case Fans
250GB SSD
3TB HDD
Windows 10

Solution
Any current graphics card with a single GPU, so not counting older dual GPU model graphics cards or a dual card configuration which mostly should not be considered anyhow, a 650w PSU is plenty for any of them.

If you have plans to overclock the CPU or graphics card, or add a LOT of other stuff like many drives, plus lots of case fans, along with a bunch of RGB, AND do any kind of heavy overclocking, THEN you might want to consider a 750w unit. And actually, for anybody (Again, don't do it) looking at Vega 64, a 750w unit would be a good idea there too. And nothing AGAINST having a 750w unit, because it does give you options in the event that the power requirements start trending back the other way again in the future, or dual GPUs...

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I think the unit will be on it's way out. What is your budget? What is your preferred site for purchase?

FYI, you can't SLI with the GTX1660Ti so my suggestion is getting a 650W unit with only a single(most powerful) GPU setup.

My budget on a PSU is under $150 U.S. and my preferred site of purchase is newegg. Also, the debate on which GPU I should get continues. If I go with a RX 590 would that change your suggestion of a 650W PSU? Thanks!

Last edited:

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I was reading through the Recommended power supply models and PSU discussion thread and I noticed "Just about anything made by Seasonic is good quality for the most part". Problem is most of them are out of stock on newegg. I also noticed both Corsair RMx and EVGA G3 are good models. So which of these 2 should I get, the EVGA SuperNova 850 G3 or the Corsair RMx Series RM850x? and will it work with my computer? I plan on overclocking my CPU now, then upgrading my entire Platform within the next 6 months.

My Computer,
Case
Motherboard
i5-4690k 3.5ghz

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
I was reading through the Recommended power supply models and PSU discussion thread and I noticed "Just about anything made by Seasonic is good quality for the most part". Problem is most of them are out of stock on newegg. I also noticed both Corsair RMx and EVGA G3 are good models. So which of these 2 should I get, the EVGA SuperNova 850 G3 or the Corsair RMx Series RM850x? and will it work with my computer? I plan on overclocking my CPU now, then upgrading my entire Platform within the next 6 months.

My Computer,
Case
Motherboard
i5-4690k 3.5ghz
They are both great, either one of them would be ideal. But why do you want a 850w unit? Your current system certainly doesn't need that much power. Are you planning to upgrade to a rtx 2080ti or something?

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
They are both great, either one of them would be ideal. But why do you want a 850w unit? Your current system certainly doesn't need that much power. Are you planning to upgrade to a rtx 2080ti or something?

I plan on upgrading my entire system within the next 6 months. I want to leave open the possibility of adding any graphics card down the road.

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I was reading the reviews as was suggested. The Corsair RMx Series RM850x is 4 eggs with most of the negative reviews being DOA's.

The EVGA SuperNova 850 G3 is 5 eggs with very few negative reviews being the fan is loud. However, EVGA responded to one of those negative reviews saying that the fan shouldn't be loud at all and the majority of the positive reviews say that the fan is quiet.

I decided to check the EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 reviews and it is also 5 eggs. Their are no negative reviews about the fan being too loud, but the negative reviews say either DOA, or it screwed up their motherboard.

Overall I think the EVGA SuperNova 850 G3 seems like the safest bet. My only question now is it's "Compact 150mm Size". Will that fit properly into my Case?

Last edited:

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
A 650w G3 would be excellent for your build like excellent for CPU overclocking and RTX2070 super (overclocking) too. No need to get an 850w if you pick the overkill route pick a P2 EVGA unit. I use them in virtually all my builds.

Okay, you guys are starting to convince me that I don't need a 850w power supply. But the EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 is only 10 bucks more than the 650 G3. It is 5 eggs out of 169 reviews on newegg and 5 stars out of 38 reviews on Micro Center.

Any current graphics card with a single GPU, so not counting older dual GPU model graphics cards or a dual card configuration which mostly should not be considered anyhow, a 650w PSU is plenty for any of them.

If you have plans to overclock the CPU or graphics card, or add a LOT of other stuff like many drives, plus lots of case fans, along with a bunch of RGB, AND do any kind of heavy overclocking, THEN you might want to consider a 750w unit. And actually, for anybody (Again, don't do it) looking at Vega 64, a 750w unit would be a good idea there too. And nothing AGAINST having a 750w unit, because it does give you options in the event that the power requirements start trending back the other way again in the future, or dual GPUs become popular again, or you run two cards, but for a pretty standard system using hardware from the last gen or two on either camp, 650w is more than enough for most people.

Looking at the prices of the units you have been considering, I'd recommend this unit. Or even the Prime Ultra Gold for a few bucks less. For most systems, there really not much of anything better out there you can get. Maybe the AXi units, but that's subjective, and somewhat questionable. Flextronics makes good power supplies, but I've seen a lot of members having issues with them inside of warranty or just out of warranty as well, plus they are significantly more expensive in most cases.

The Prime Ultra units are as good as anybody could reasonably ask them to be. Spend a few extra bucks, and trade "really good" for "Exemplary".

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $143.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-10 07:46 EST-0500

Solution

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
Okay, so I ordered the Seasonic Prime Ultra 650w Platinum, and I was sent a Seasonic Prime PX-650. It has the same model number as the Prime Ultra 650 Platinum, and is also a 80 Plus Platinum.

According to the Seasonic Website, "the PRIME TX, PRIME PX and PRIME GX series became the successors to the Seasonic PRIME and PRIME Ultra series".

It appears the one they sent me is from the newest series. I assume it should still be good considering it's a Seasonic right?

Ok, well it should be fine, and is still an excellent product, I just don't like the fact of ordering something and not getting EXACTLY what I expected to get and you might contact them and discuss it with them because while it MAY be exactly as they say, and this product supercedes the older line, that doesn't mean it is AS good, or doesn't have new or different potential issues because EVERY power supply model has some distinctly new and different issue or lack of an issue that was previously present, when reviewed by a top reviewer like Aris.

But that's just me, and I'm a bit more anal about it than most people would be. In all reality, it is probably just fine and an excellent unit.