[SOLVED] Do I really need a 80plus gold PSU for Modern Warfare?

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
I'm going to replace my faulty PSU with a new one, I calculated that i need at least 306 Watts on my rig (used coolermaster wattage calculator) and my question is: Do i Really need a 80plus gaming PSU to go back and play actively Modern Warfare/Warzone or can i choose even a White/bronze/silver one? I list a couple of models i've found on Amazon...Could one of these two be good for extended everyday play of such a demanding game? I know i sound like a nerd, but in this pandemic period what you can do? I don't know how much i play every day, it varies, but i need to be 100% sure that the PSU i'm going to buy can resist and give me all the power i need for extensive everyday play...
Cooler Master MWE 750 White-v2 750W 80 Plus
Cooler Master MWE 700 White-v2 700W 80 Plus

here's my actual hardware, if needed:
-OP system: Windows 10 pro 64-bit version 1909;
-RAM: G.SKILL Dimm Ripjaws V DDR4 16Gb 3200MHz CL 16;
-CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Quad Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4;
-GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon RX570 8gb VRAM GDDR5 Pci-E DVI-D;
-Motherboard: ASUS Tuf B450-Plus Gaming Socket AM4 Chipset B450 ATX;
-PSU: COOLERMASTER Modular PSU 750Watt MWE 80+ Gold (Fan 120mm), Faulty.

Solution
Right now not much, but if I remain in a range not over 70 euros I can get one kinda soon, otherwise i have to wait christmas and maybe even over to get one..And with this pandemic going on, stay for so long with no games is a struggle...PS: i don't care if the PSU is loud or not, i can handle that...i just need that is powerful enough to allow me to play...
While it is a little more than your budget, this is a great choice on a PSU.
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€81.55 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €81.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-15 18:49...
I'm going to replace my faulty PSU with a new one, I calculated that i need at least 306 Watts on my rig (used coolermaster wattage calculator) and my question is: Do i Really need a 80plus gaming PSU to go back and play actively Modern Warfare/Warzone or can i choose even a White/bronze/silver one? I list a couple of models i've found on Amazon...Could one of these two be good for extended everyday play of such a demanding game? I know i sound like a nerd, but in this pandemic period what you can do? I don't know how much i play every day, it varies, but i need to be 100% sure that the PSU i'm going to buy can resist and give me all the power i need for extensive everyday play...
Cooler Master MWE 750 White-v2 750W 80 Plus
Cooler Master MWE 700 White-v2 700W 80 Plus

here's my actual hardware, if needed:
-OP system: Windows 10 pro 64-bit version 1909;
-RAM: G.SKILL Dimm Ripjaws V DDR4 16Gb 3200MHz CL 16;
-CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Quad Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4;
-GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon RX570 8gb VRAM GDDR5 Pci-E DVI-D;
-Motherboard: ASUS Tuf B450-Plus Gaming Socket AM4 Chipset B450 ATX;
-PSU: COOLERMASTER Modular PSU 750Watt MWE 80+ Gold (Fan 120mm), Faulty.
The MWE V2 is a good budget PSU. The reason for getting a higher quality PSU come down to reliability, how quiet it is, and quality of power delivery. The 80+ gold designation doesn't mean that a PSU is good or not. All that means is it meets certain efficiency standards. If it is in your budget to get a better PSU then it is worth while. What is your budget for a new PSU?

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
The MWE V2 is a good budget PSU. The reason for getting a higher quality PSU come down to reliability, how quiet it is, and quality of power delivery. The 80+ gold designation doesn't mean that a PSU is good or not. All that means is it meets certain efficiency standards. If it is in your budget to get a better PSU then it is worth while. What is your budget for a new PSU?
Right now not much, but if I remain in a range not over 70 euros I can get one kinda soon, otherwise i have to wait christmas and maybe even over to get one..And with this pandemic going on, stay for so long with no games is a struggle...PS: i don't care if the PSU is loud or not, i can handle that...i just need that is powerful enough to allow me to play...

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€81.55 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-15 18:49 CET+0100

Solution

You don't need ANYWHERE NEAR 700W for your build.

Instead of buying a cheap 700W that's prone to failure, get a really high quality 450W or 550W instead.

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
PCPartPicker Part List

Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-15 18:49 CET+0100
well if i manage to find it on amazon for my country, i'll see...thanks for the advice ;)
EDIT: I found this, could be ok? https://www.amazon.it/Seasonic-PC-P...mentKeywords=seasonic+550w+80plus+gold&sr=8-3
TUF gaming is also on my motherboard...

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€84.05 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €84.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-15 19:17 CET+0100

I would go with the 550W Focus GX instead of the 650W Core.

Reactions: Angel Keidran

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
A couple of comments.

First, where a PSU rating isn't a "direct" indicator of build quality it is better indicator of it's efficiency in regard TO it's rating. It's (typically) better to get a higher rating where you can.

Currently your system isn't pulling much power. The parts you have allow for what seems a good upgrade path into a more powerful CPU and GPU pretty much as it stands...and in regard to your PSU you COULD spend a little more now on a good unit such that you don't have to spend it again later should you decide to do those upgrades.

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
Overkill doesn't matter if the PSU is garbage. A quality 550W is still > than a garbage 850W.

Wattage and efficiency are not indications of quality.
True, but me not being an expert i always thought that more Wattage PLUS 80+Gold certification was the best way...I was wrong, good to know...At least now i know what to do...

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
Lemme guess, that was some 10 years ago or pairs Corsair VS with GTX1080Ti ?
Was 7 months ago with a Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold...He bought it three times, each from a different seller and busted after 1/2 months...And i mean TOTALLY busted...All new, one from Aamazon, one from Eprice and another from a shop i don't remember now...Probably he was just super-unlucky, still mekes me doubt of Corsair's PSUs.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Was 7 months ago with a Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold...He bought it three times, each from a different seller and busted after 1/2 months...And i mean TOTALLY busted...All new, one from Aamazon, one from Eprice and another from a shop i don't remember now...Probably he was just super-unlucky, still mekes me doubt of Corsair's PSUs.
Considering that a ton of people are using Corsair PSUs and don't have any problems, including myself, 'super-unlucky' is an option, but i'm more inclined to the possibility that electricity quality in his mains is just 'super-f**ed'. What was the PSU he bought after that didn't blow-up ? Where he is from exactly ? How did RMA process went ? Through the retailer or Corsair themselves ? Asking because Jonnyguru here would be very interested in why three Corsair PSUs in a row blew up, i'm pretty sure.

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
Just for the record I also have a corsair RM750x and it's replacing a gold 600w that it was broken. the mark is like a lion on it, but I don't remember the name xD. So far so good.

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
Considering that a ton of people are using Corsair PSUs and don't have any problems, including myself, 'super-unlucky' is an option, but i'm more inclined to the possibility that electricity quality in his mains is just 'super-f**ed'. What was the PSU he bought after that didn't blow-up ? Where he is from exactly ? How did RMA process went ? Through the retailer or Corsair themselves ? Asking because Jonnyguru here would be very interested in why three Corsair PSUs in a row blew up, i'm pretty sure.
All i know is that he got a coolermaster PSU after all that mess ( a 700w 80plus gold if i remember correctly) still running as far as i know and he's German. How he sent back all those PSUs and how the situation went EXACTLY i don't know, i did not asked him...