Question Do USB NFC readers work with Yubikey?

Ralston18

Titan

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Your link is to a contactless card scanner that plugs into a USB port.

YubiKey is a different product.

Are you able to provide more information about what you wish to do, the requirements, and the working environment?

You must pay close attention to the standards being used by the reader and the card.

The following link should prove helpful:

https://support.yubico.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013707820-YubiKey-Smart-Card-Deployment-Guide
I'd like to be able to do the 2 factor authentication with Yubikey without having to plug it to USB, just by putting it close to the USB-attached NFC reader on a PC...if that's possible.

Ralston18

Titan
No.

That said I am not sure that I understand your 2FA question.....

Hardware will not work if not connected.

And if connected said hardware will not work without the applicable software drivers and configuration settings on the host computer.

What are you trying to do?

However, reading back, I may be misunderstanding what you mean by Yubikey and its' application.

My understanding and expectation would be that if you have a physical Yubikey then you plug it into the host computer which then detects the physical device and likely prompts for some accompanying PIN to confirm your identify and authorization to use the computer.

Waving the a USB Yubikey over some sensor pad is not going to work. Caveat being that if the Yubikey is also some sort of card then you will still need to provide a PIN.

More information needed.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
No.

That said I am not sure that I understand your 2FA question.....

Hardware will not work if not connected.

And if connected said hardware will not work without the applicable software drivers and configuration settings on the host computer.

What are you trying to do?

However, reading back, I may be misunderstanding what you mean by Yubikey and its' application.

My understanding and expectation would be that if you have a physical Yubikey then you plug it into the host computer which then detects the physical device and likely prompts for some accompanying PIN to confirm your identify and authorization to use the computer.

Waving the a USB Yubikey over some sensor pad is not going to work. Caveat being that if the Yubikey is also some sort of card then you will still need to provide a PIN.

More information needed.
Hi Ralston18, Thanks for your answer.

Yubikeys are available with NFC so that you can authenticate on any NFC-able device such as a smartphone by just waving the Yubikey near to the NFC chip.

I'd like to know if I may use a NFC Yubikey by waving it close to the NFC reader that is connected to the computer with a USB cable.
I don't like the idea of having to plug this key on the computer each time, I'd forget to unplug it most of the time and the USB ports on two of my compters are a bit inaccessible.

Ralston18

Titan
In that context, the following link may be helpful:

https://support.yubico.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013656980-YubiKey-5-NFC

Not sure about the specifics but I am sure that the details (including fine print, caveats, etc.) do matter.

Very likely you will need to take a close look at specs, standards, software (drivers, apps) to determine what is compatible with what.

Be wary of some proprietary standards or connectivity.

Take a look at the User Guides/Manuals for the key and reader that you have in mind. Map the applicable spec's between computer, key, and reader.

Then if any questions or doubts remain then contact the applicable manufacturer.

Present your question(s) and document all correspondence. Use email to make that all easier.

And look into the applicable seller RMA policies just in case there is some problem.

Again, details matter.

Reactions: Rodion15