Question Do you ignore Nvidia GPUs because of it's data collection via GeForce Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
I've been wondering if people refuse to buy Nvidia GPUs because the GeForece Experience requires you to create an account and/or because of the data collection?

I myself would prefer an Nividia GPU but have decided to buy AMD this time, because I wont support surveillance. We are paying for the product, we are not getting it for free.

Previously I just didn't install GeForce Experience, and hoped for them to change their code of conduct, but I have decided to not buy their products anymore.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
GeForce experience is completely optional.

It is not optional, if I want to use the features it provides, and an alternate brand offers a similar alternative, that doesn't add surveillance.

It isn't even a required component of using said device.
It's required if the user wants the features it implements, and if another brand offers the same features without the surveillance, then it's a valid reason to avoid nvidia.

Initially GeForce experience didn't require any registration, and I loved the features it provided, without having to install third party software.

You do NOT have to install it in order to install Nvidia driver
As you can see by the vote I created, it implies that you can just install the driver.

The products you buy promotes the objectives of the companies producing them. It supports their policies.

Last edited:
that doesn't add surveillance.
You're nucking futs if you think ANY of these companies don't have phone home features in their software if you use ANY of the optional crap. ALL the motherboard manufacturers have it in their optional utilties, like ASUS Armory Crate, Gigabyte control center, MSI Dragon, etc. NZXT CAM is one of the absolute worst. AMD is no better, or worse, in this regard, than anybody else. SO yes, it IS a moot point because nobody, not one person except maybe you, feels like this is a deal breaker when it is not even a requirement to use the hardware properly. And if you CHOOSE to use the optional features, LIKE GeForce experience, then you are CHOOSING to allow them to do that. Same as using CAM. Same as using Armory crate. Same as using your phone.

If you think ANYTHING you use surveils you even a fraction of as much as your phone does, even without any optional apps installed, then you are just hopeless. LOL.

I think we are done. If I want to actively try to be a consumer that doesn't support surveillance, I can chose to do that. You can support any activity you like, and I am not name calling you for it, nor strawmaning you.
Of course you can, but in order to do so you'd have to not use ANY software from any of these companies, except what the basic driver frameworks require. It's the same for motherboards, graphics cards and other hardware that offers optional features, and in some cases like NZXT CAM, not even optional. If you want to use ANY of their hardware that requires CAM, you WILL be sending them almost continuously monitored information.

But as far as having the right to choose between AMD and Nvidia, you absolutely have that right. It's simply a matter of choosing which of them you'd prefer to give your information too rather than choosing to not give it at all, unless of course, you choose to not give it to them by not using those features. And, my apologies, I was not trying to "call you names' as you put it. I was simply trying to make a point. But you are right, if you choose to use those features. In which case you are also choosing to be monitored in some way, mostly for marketing purposes.

It is not optional, if I want to use the features it provides, and an alternate brand offers a similar alternative, that doesn't add surveillance.
So... use those alternatives instead?

I don't use GeForce Experience because it adds no value to the games I play:
  • "Optimizing" my game settings? I'll set them to max quality and adjust to taste if it falls below say 50 FPS most of the time and it's not a CPU performance issue
  • Automatic driver updates? They don't need to be up to date unless I'm playing a game that just came out
  • Shadowplay? Windows has those features built in
  • Ansel? It's a toy at best for me
  • Freestyle? It doesn't add anything of value (why would I make my game sepia tone?)
Is NVIDIA holding a gun to your head and telling you you must use GeForce Experience or something?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
voted "I don't care"

have three active pc here at home - a budget gaming pc, a backup pc, and dinosaur pc which also serves as backup storage. All have Nvidia gpu. All have Geforce Experience installed.

I use Geforce Experience to record gaming videos often, so it's a useful tool for me.

Reactions: Exploding PSU
Dec 28, 2022
If you use an smartphone, you are already been under surveillance all the time. They know where you are exactly, they heard you actively through your mic, they know what are your desires, ambitious, behavior... They know everything. So, why bother?

KyaraM

Admirable
If that is your reasoning, I got bad news for you... very, very bad news. Fun fact, anonymous data about what games you play and the hardware you have are the most harmless pieces of info that are sent out to third parties. And will certainly alao be collected by AMD. Especially since they are mainly used to improve drivers and can be opted out.

Oh, and on the topic of AMD not collecting data...

https://community.amd.com/t5/driver...settings-collect-about-my-computer/td-p/84473

And from AMD directly:

https://www.amd.com/en/legal/privacy.html

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is one of the most naive takes I have seen lately...

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
If that is your reasoning, I got bad news for you...Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is one of the most naive takes I have seen lately...

Can you be more specific? I would like to know the assumptions you did based on what I have written.

I read that you can disable it and AMD doesn't require you to register an account to use their equivalent to the GeForce experience. I may be disinformed. I also recall that I had to be online and logged on to use GE, but it may have changed since (8 years ago I think).

Also, not allowing users to disable data collection EASILLY is illegal according to the European GDPR. I am located in Europe, but many users of these forums aren't - and many US companies of course ignore European law, when providing/selling their services in Europe.

We could also be proactive and suggest solutions, like blocking ipnames and ipaddresses, blocking selected services from accessing the internet and other workarounds, like suggesting alternative software that doesn't do data collection.

Last edited:

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Shadowplay? Windows has those features built in

Yes, if you want to use the windows "xbox game bar" and get fewer FPS.

Is NVIDIA holding a gun to your head and telling you you must use GeForce Experience or something?

Where did I write I was forced to use GeForce Experience? Did you see the options I created for the vote?

My current setup is nvidia, and I am buying a new system, and I uninstalled GE the second they required you to register ... 8-9 years ago? And use alternatives already (OBS + ffmpeg).

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
If you know you can disable data collection then I really don't get your issue. AMD does it, too, so that argument is completely moot. Also, I'm in Europe, too, so I know it is illegal. Doesn't change that you aren't forced and can deactivate it, no matter where you are. I don't really use Experience either so I don't really get that issue, too. It feels pretty silly to me to get worked up about any of this and avoid Nvidia because of data collection, as said in the thread title. It's your main point here and people tell you it makes no sense.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
If you know you can disable data collection then I really don't get your issue. AMD does it, too, so that argument is completely moot.

So AMD forces you to be registered and online to use the equivalent to GE? The vote was not created with the intention to debate anything. I naively assumed people would vote and state their reason, like I did, and not make strawman arguments based on assumptions.

then I really don't get your issue

The point was to see how people vote, which to me shows something that I will not discuss on these forums, ie. politics. If you want a hint you can search for 'political ponerology", but I strongly suggest we only debate it privately, if you want to do that.

If that is your reasoning, I got bad news for you...Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is one of the most naive takes I have seen lately...

What assumptions are you making? What did I explicitly write to cause these assumptions?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
A poll in a forum thread is hardly going to be scientific in any meaningful way. And of course people are going to discuss it; the purpose of the forum is discussion.

And people said you said you were being forced because you previously said "it's not optional." It's fairly binary; either you're forced to install GeForce experience or you're not.

Optional, is, of course correct. You purchased a product that was offered and if you did not like the associated conditions for using the product's features, you had a 30-day window to return the item.

After buying a GPU, Nvidia offers you an additional service contract, one that provides special tools above and beyond the basic functionality of the product. They then request, as consideration, the ability to use your data in return for the additional special tools that you did not purchase otherwise. Then, if you choose to accept those conditions, to explicitly give your assent to them after reading the User Agreement they present to you prior to using those special tools.

All the elements of a contract between two freely consenting parties are here: offer, consideration, acceptance, mutuality, and legality. It's optional. These special tools are not required for the functioning of the GPU which you did purchase. These are separate transactions as they offered you an additional product to enhance your enjoyment from the product your purchased already.

Am I necessarily crazy about the conditions? Not really. I'd prefer to have an option where I pay an equivalent fee to my data, but they're certainly optional.

Last edited:

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
And people said you said you were being forced because you previously said "it's not optional." It's fairly binary; either you're forced to install GeForce experience or you're not.

Thank you. That was a mistake / badly worded. Being forced to create an account and be online while using it, is not optional (last I checked). I figured the choices I created for the vote showed that I know installing it is a choice.

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
So AMD forces you to be registered and online to use the equivalent to GE? The vote was not created with the intention to debate anything. I naively assumed people would vote and state their reason, like I did, and not make strawman arguments based on assumptions.

The point was to see how people vote, which to me shows something that I will not discuss on these forums, ie. politics. If you want a hint you can search for 'political ponerology", but I strongly suggest we only debate it privately, if you want to do that.

What assumptions are you making? What did I explicitly write to cause these assumptions?
You wrote: "I myself would prefer an Nividia GPU but have decided to buy AMD this time, because I wont support surveillance. We are paying for the product, we are not getting it for free."
This literally says that you switched to AMD because Nvidia is collecting data, with the implication that AMD doesn't. Because, why make this your main reason if AMD does it, too? That would only be an argument if you believed they didn't, which is kinda naive as shown in my first post above. It's not an strawman argument. It's not an assumption. It is literally what you yourself said is your reason.

About Geforce Experience, again, it is fully optional to you. Don't like it, don't get it, end of story. It'snot even hard to create a dummy email for it or anything. In all honesty, since I'm not using any of its crap anyways, I actually like being able to choose not to install it. I don't care about needing an account. But this wasn't exactly your main point from how you hade the poll, but tacked on to the surveillance argument.

Reactions: Hellfire13

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Thank you for the feedback.

You wrote: "I myself would prefer an Nividia GPU but have decided to buy AMD this time, because I wont support surveillance. This literally says that you switched to AMD because Nvidia is collecting data, with the implication that AMD doesn't.

Because, why make this your main reason if AMD does it, too?

Does AMD force you to create an account and be online to use their tool too?

About Geforce Experience, again, it is fully optional to you. Don't like it, don't get it, end of story.

If you read the alternatives that I created for the vote you can see that I was aware of this, before anyone had created a reply. Which is why I didn't understand why people write that it's optional, implying that I did not already know.

It'snot even hard to create a dummy email for it or anything. In all honesty, since I'm not using any of its crap anyways, I actually like being able to choose not to install it. I don't care about needing an account. But this wasn't exactly your main point from how you hade the poll, but tacked on to the surveillance argument.

If you want to discuss politics / monitoring / surveillance feel free to DM me. Discussing politics here is counter productive IMO. Being online is, as you have implied yourself, being surveilled.

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
Thank you for the feedback.

Does AMD force you to create an account and be online to use their tool too?

If you read the alternatives that I created for the vote you can see that I was aware of this, before anyone had created a reply. Which is why I didn't understand why people write that it's optional, implying that I did not already know.

If you want to discuss politics / monitoring / surveillance feel free to DM me. Discussing politics here is counter productive IMO. Being online is, as you have implied yourself, being surveilled.
I don't know and I frankly don't even care. Don't want it, don't use it, and that is the very last thing I say about it. Having to have an account doesn't even have anything to do with your surveillance bs. And no, I'm not interested in discussing this further. Hope you enjoy your AMD card that is also monitoring you, as well as your smart phone, smart TV, ISP, and whoever else provides services to you through a paid service with data logging on top of the fees.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Hope you enjoy your AMD card that is also monitoring you

How can it monitor me when I am offline and restore an image every time I boot? How can the smart devices that I do not own, for obvious reasons, monitor me?

I've got hardware that has neve been online, there is hardware that I have chosen to live without. Your opinion is that you don't care / surveillance is ok / everybody does it so why fight it, and I respect those opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdmiralDonut
Status
Not open for further replies.