Do You Really Need More Than 6 GB Of RAM?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Maria

http://memory1gb.com

nicebo60

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Ram is about loading Times and Avoids lags in games and making the games as smoth as possible .
My GTA IV was laging badley with 2gb of ram , with 4gb on vista 64 still lags a bit , at 8gb of ram is completely lag free , and Loading times are a dream , I have no FPS increase . however anoying lags have completely desapeard and game is completely smoth , I recomend puting has much ram has you can afford not for faster FPS but for much faster loading times and a smother gaming experience

G

These games are programmed with 32-bit instruction sets. Even you have memory more than 4 Gb and a 64bit OS, they will just took up at most 4Gb when they are running. There is not much 64-bit programes or games in the market, WinRAR have 64bit version and you can see some difference. The actual need of these memory is low, but when there are more 64 bit instruction applications roll out, there might be some difference. 64bit PC Architechture and OS have been avaliable for quite some years and basically most hardware are not 64 bit ready, but the infiltration rate of 64 bit programs never match up. Probably 90% of the games/applications are still 32 bit x86 instruction set. Check hard drive, how many are under Program Files (x86) and how many are under Program Files folder in a 64bit MS OS.

G

are people idiots i have 2gb ddr3 memory and have never needed more than that on my gaming rig shes top of the line on the amd side dont like i7 yet no need for all that speed but when needed ill switch i play all games at top res .the only reason i see using more then 4 is for work like in grephics design .ive never went past half way mark on my memory and i run win 7 pro.when i do ill buy another stick of kingston hyper x

G

When you're playing max-settings high-end games with modifications, where there are literally over 9000 soldiers running on screen(which begins to lag on my 3GB system) would this be a good time to bump it up to 6GB, 8GB, or even further?

G

I sure need 6gb or more of ram. I make music with VST plugins and some patches can use as much as 3gb of ram, so it all adds up between all the different plugins that are running at the same time.

G

I have yet to touch 8 gigs of usage, however when you are running video and or graphical editing programs it adds up fast, plus having windows 7 means that you loose 1-2gig just by having the OS - if I'm not mistaken. I like to build things for fun, and when I build, I build big. sure its over kill for gaming, but I really don't see the point in this entire article *thus I skimed the living hell out of it* I guess if you'r stupid you think that it's going to make your computer amazingly faster? or better at playing a video game you suck at? I mean...whats the point here? I guess people like the idea of saving money so their gonna read this.

G

did I understand it right that there is no performance difference between using 2x4GB or 4x2GB RAM DDR3 modules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS