gunslingor

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Im looking for a docking station with:
  • all usb 3.0 and a thunderbolt ports.
  • 4 monitor outputs.
  • 10 Gbit ethernet.
  • 2 Laptop connections (3 better).

This is the closest i can find but its missing the last two and it is expensive (but looks high quality which i like): https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09DPV5NRL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1ZAFAL1WND4H&psc=1

So first I started wondering which device i could pair with this to accomplish my goals. Then I thought, well, if I need 2 devices maybe that expands my options for the first device. Then I thought, wait a minute, there is probably a software defined ethernet based solution.

What do you think, are my specs too lofty or can I accomplish it, may be for cheaper?

Im looking for a docking station with:

• all usb 3.0 and a thunderbolt ports.
    • 4 monitor outputs.
    • 10 Gbit ethernet.
    • 2 Laptop connections (3 better).
This is the closest i can find but its missing the last two and it is expensive (but looks high quality which i like): https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09DPV5NRL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1ZAFAL1WND4H&psc=1

So first I started wondering which device i could pair with this to accomplish my goals. Then I thought, well, if I need 2 devices maybe that expands my options for the first device. Then I thought, wait a minute, there is probably a software defined ethernet based solution.

What do you think, are my specs too lofty or can I accomplish it, may be for cheaper?

Docking station with more than two monitors and ethernet over 1gb will be expensive, and they won't have connections for two laptops, that would be a KVM switch, which won't really work properly with multiple monitors unless you have the outputs going to the KVM.
For two laptops to use the same screens you would need to buy two of those docking stations, and a 4 monitor KVM to swap between them. So monitors/keyboard/mouse to the KVM, the two docking stations video and USB connection goes to the docks, one laptop on each dock.