[SOLVED] Does a SATA DVD/Blu-Ray drive require a HDD?

Sep 11, 2021
I'm currently wanting to install a DVD/Blu-Ray drive and I don't know if I need to install an HDD as I am currently using a SSD, do I need an HDD if I am? I can't seem to find any 15-pin SATA ports on my motherboard, and that's the only thing I've kinda tried, so I'm kinda stumped

Solution
I'm currently wanting to install a DVD/Blu-Ray drive and I don't know if I need to install an HDD as I am currently using a SSD, do I need an HDD if I am? I can't seem to find any 15-pin SATA ports on my motherboard, and that's the only thing I've kinda tried, so I'm kinda stumped

No, you don't need a HDD.

You can use a Molex to SATA adapter or an Y cable (SATA) to power your DVD.

No, you don't need a HDD.

You can use a Molex to SATA adapter or an Y cable (SATA) to power your DVD.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Tell us exactly the maker and model of your mobo. A Blu-Ray drive will need two connections to it: a SATA power output connector from the PSU, and a SATA data cable to a mobo port. I am SURE your mobo will have a SATA port or several. You need that PORT; you do NOT need to have a SATA HDD installed.

Sep 11, 2021
Tell us exactly the maker and model of your mobo. A Blu-Ray drive will need two connections to it: a SATA power output connector from the PSU, and a SATA data cable to a mobo port. I am SURE your mobo will have a SATA port or several. You need that PORT; you do NOT need to have a SATA HDD installed.

I have the B450 AORUS M from Gigabyte, and thank you for clarifying I don't need a SATA HDD installed, I'm kinda a tech newbie in this area

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Good. A SATA device has two connectors on it. The wider one with 15 contacts is for power input from the PSU, and the connector for that is on some of the wires directly from the PSU. The narrower connector has 7 contacts and it's for a data cable that runs from the drive to a mobo SATA port.

Your mobo has two slightly different groups of SATA ports on it. See the manual, p. 12, items 10 and 9. See also pages 15-16. The main ones you can use any time are the group of four shown as item 10. Then item 9 is a group of two ports called ASATA. These two only share some mobo resources with any SSD you have installed on the mobo in its M2A socket. So IF you have an SSD installed, do NOT try to use either of the ASATA sockets for drives. If you have NO SSD in the M2A socket then those ASATA ports act like any other SATA port.

I note that the four SATA ports in item 10 all have their opening facing the front edge. Depending on what else is in your case near there, you may be able to use common SATA data cables, OR you may need cables with right-hand connectors on one end to fit into a small space there. Common SATA data cables typically are supplied with a case or sometimes with a mobo. If you need any, check with any computer parts shop. IF you need ones with a right-hand angled connector, there are "left"and "right" versions of those, so ensure you get the one that fits on your ports.