[SOLVED] Does a USB 2.0 supports 1080p webcam?

Sep 13, 2020
Hello I am just wondering if a USB 2.0 supports a 1080p webcam? Because I got a 1080p webcam and when I tested it on webcamtests(dot)com it only showed 640x480p resolution. Unfortunately I don't have a usb 3.0 port on my computer to test if the usb port is really the case.

Solution
In some cases the exact way you connect may make a difference. If you plug that webcam into a USB socket on the mobo (or the front panel), it should have max speed for that class. But if you are using an external powered USB2 Hub then that Hub and ALL of its connected devices are sharing the bandwidth of a single mobo USB2 port. So, do not use the camera through an external Hub.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In some cases the exact way you connect may make a difference. If you plug that webcam into a USB socket on the mobo (or the front panel), it should have max speed for that class. But if you are using an external powered USB2 Hub then that Hub and ALL of its connected devices are sharing the bandwidth of a single mobo USB2 port. So, do not use the camera through an external Hub.

Solution