Question Does anyone know how to make a bootable BigSur clone (not image disk) directly onto a remote windows 11 based volume?

Budgeteer_262

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Hi All,

I've got a BigSur laptop (single drive) and a headless windows 11 machine that has two physical drives. One has the windows 11 OS and the other is empty.

I also have a third machine without any bootable storage.
All three machines are on the same LAN.

My objective is to make a bootable clone of BigSur onto the empty drive connected to the Windows machine. I then intend to remove the bootable clone drive and put it into the third (headless) computer and boot BigSur from it.

I am controlling the windows machine using remote access software. I intend to access the clone of my MacOS using this software by cloning the BigSur OS so that the clone automatically begins hosting remote access without the need to configure in person (which is impossible because its headless).

Given the above context, does anyone know how to make a bootable clone (not image disk) directly onto my remote controlled windows 11 machine?

I've already connected the windows 11 based target drive to the Mac via file sharing such that I can drag files into it on the Mac and view them on the windows machine. However, this network volume either refuses to show up on the multiple clone software I've tried, or says that I can't create a bootable clone but that I can "backup system files" to the network drive which I don't think results in a bootable device.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Budgeteer_262

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
No, I am unable to connect the drives to the BigSur system directly.

In the meantime, I've created a clone onto a new sector I created within the BigSur environment. I tried copying the 50gb clone onto the network drive based in the windows PC but the transfer speed was appalling.

Still looking for a solution.