Does ethernet reduse wifi speed?

May 10, 2018
My sisters boyfriend has moved in and i have my computer plugged in through ethernet and when he plays games on his xbox his always complains about his ping going up to 9000 and starts to put the blaim on me using an ethernet cord could i have someones opinion on is this is true and why this would be happening we have a decent modem and internet so it shouldn't be making him lag

Solution
There could be any number of reasons for the lagging and high pings.

Wifi is inherently slower than Ethernet. And wireless is quite subject to interference from multiple sources in the surrounding environment.

However, if there have been no network problems to date then his Xbox and internet use is simply pushing network traffic to the point of congestion. Or the additional traffic has exposed some flaw or problem with your network. Could be physical or configuration.

And if his system/Xbox is not correctly configured then that may also be a contributing factor.

Does not matter that you have a "decent modem and internet". And router for that matter.....

He could try relocating his Xbox higher or elsewhere in his/their room...
with wifi as it a radio signal. he needs to be close to the router and if the router a few years old make sure it has the newest firmware. if his pings are real high have him try an power over ethernet kit. kit that uses house wiring to pass ethernet over. he plugs one end to the router then into the wall outlet. then plug the other unit into the outlet in his room then connect his gaming unit. if the wiring is good he should have a better connection without running a hard line all over the house.

Ralston18

Titan
There could be any number of reasons for the lagging and high pings.

Wifi is inherently slower than Ethernet. And wireless is quite subject to interference from multiple sources in the surrounding environment.

However, if there have been no network problems to date then his Xbox and internet use is simply pushing network traffic to the point of congestion. Or the additional traffic has exposed some flaw or problem with your network. Could be physical or configuration.

And if his system/Xbox is not correctly configured then that may also be a contributing factor.

Does not matter that you have a "decent modem and internet". And router for that matter.....

He could try relocating his Xbox higher or elsewhere in his/their room. Double check that the Xbox is correctly configured for your wireless network.

However, the ping may even be a problem via your ISP or elsewhere. Even the gaming site....

Overall, the real issues are not technical. If he is not paying the bills, then he has no say in the matter.

Strongly recommend a "family meeting" to work out the terms and responsibilities of the relationships involved.

Otherwise will not end well for anyone.....

Solution
If you maxout your connection you will have a high ping. Everything in your house shares the same internet so it doesn't matter if it's wired or not.

Your wifi might not be able to handle the speeds of your internet, which could be why when using wired it uses more.