[SOLVED] Does faster SSD speed equal to faster 3d scene rendering and video editing?

Foyezes

Commendable
Mar 26, 2022
Hi. I'm planning on getting a Samsung 980 pro 500GB m.2 drive for my new build. I know that because it's PCIe 4.0, it's twice as fast as the 970 evo plus.
I also saw that it doesn't make that much of a difference in game load, file copying speed can differ if the other device is slower than the one being copied from.

What I want to know is, does it make any difference in terms of 3d rendering. I want to use the new pc for blender and will a faster SSD like 980 pro will make a difference compared to 970 evo plus. Will it make any difference rendering a scene or in viewport?

I also wanted to know if it'll make a difference in video editing. I know that a fast drive is good for editing videos but will the 980 pro be necessary or should I just get the 970 evo plus.

A 980 pro 500gb costs around the same as 1tb 970 evo plus. But I'm willing to get the 980 pro if it'll do better than the 970 evo plus.

Note: I will be using it on a pcie gen 4 motherboard.

Solution
No it does not.

The vast majority of video and 3D rendering time is reliant on the rest of the system. CPU and RAM.
Saving out the resultant file doesn't make even a SATA III SSD break into a sweat.

Yes, I've tested this.
(i'll have to redo my test and publish these results)

Virtually identical rendering speeds, across all SSD types.
Tested with a 980 Pro, Intel 660p, and various SATA III SSDs.
Will this drive be your one and only internal?

Do you have a firm and accurate grip on how much your storage capacity requirements might grow over the next 4 or 5 years?

Do you expect to be rendering or video editing 5 hours a day or 5 hours a week?

USAFRet

Titan
No it does not.

The vast majority of video and 3D rendering time is reliant on the rest of the system. CPU and RAM.
Saving out the resultant file doesn't make even a SATA III SSD break into a sweat.

Yes, I've tested this.
(i'll have to redo my test and publish these results)

Virtually identical rendering speeds, across all SSD types.
Tested with a 980 Pro, Intel 660p, and various SATA III SSDs.

Reactions: Foyezes
Solution

Foyezes

Commendable
Mar 26, 2022
Will this drive be your one and only internal?

Do you have a firm and accurate grip on how much your storage capacity requirements might grow over the next 4 or 5 years?

Do you expect to be rendering or video editing 5 hours a day or 5 hours a week?
It will be my OS, the files I work on such as 3d files, videos so the programs can load and export files faster. Then I'll move them to an HDD. I don't expect my storage requirements to go over 4-5tb over the next 4-5 years. I'll probably be working with 3d stuff like 6 hours a week and editing videos for 6 hours a week.

It will be my OS, the files I work on such as 3d files, videos so the programs can load and export files faster. Then I'll move them to an HDD. I don't expect my storage requirements to go over 4-5tb over the next 4-5 years. I'll probably be working with 3d stuff like 6 hours a week and editing videos for 6 hours a week.

I am not following your current and future storage requirements.

We don't know what internal drives you have or will buy............other than this 500 GB item.

Yet you refer to 4 or 5 TB over the next few years.

Foyezes

Commendable
Mar 26, 2022
the 980 pro or 970 evo+ will be my main os, I will also keep 3d projects and video editing projects on this drive. I'll use cheap ssds or hdds for bulk storage so I'm not worrying about that right now.