[SOLVED] Does increasing RAM and using SSD helps in gaming performance

Dec 5, 2018
If I add 4gb RAM and 500gb SSD to my laptop with core i7 7th Gen 7500U 8gb DDR4 RAM 1TB HDD and GeForce 940MX 2GB GPU will the gaming performance increase in my laptop?

I usually play dota, CSGO, Hitman Absolution and GTA V.

Solution
Actually no, SSDs and RAM have no direct impact on gaming performance.
SSDs will improve load times, but thats about it.
RAM only makes a difference when you run out of it, or buy faster RAM. If you only use 6GB of RAM having 8GB or 12GB wont make a difference.
Unless you are actively running out of RAM it wont matter.
Actually no, SSDs and RAM have no direct impact on gaming performance.
SSDs will improve load times, but thats about it.
RAM only makes a difference when you run out of it, or buy faster RAM. If you only use 6GB of RAM having 8GB or 12GB wont make a difference.
Unless you are actively running out of RAM it wont matter.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Ram not so much as you already have 8GB but an SSD will improve things quite a bit in and out of gaming and more so if coming from a 5400 drive. Whats the hdd you have in there currently?

As per case bases with the op yes i'd agree regarding ram. An SSD would improve GTA5 performance quite a bit actually.

If your opinion as a whole then i disagree. SSDs, not only do they improve load times, but also streaming assets during game play as well, and also the increase in pagefile speed is crucial too if not enough ram. Ram and SSD can have an substantial impact in gaming, im not really sure why you said that unless you meant in the OP's case.

I meant it in the direct sense of swapping in an SSD or pilling on more RAM wont boost performance.
Sure, not enough RAM and slow storage can hinder performance if its not up to par, but its not like a processor or graphics card upgrade that directly, and predictably, has an impact on performance. Especially not in a laptop.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

In an fps sense i agree, but overall more RAM and SSD can improve other aspects of gaming that are worth having, especially if it's a 5400drive as is quite common in laptops. Experiencing less stutters during game play especially in openworld games like GTA5 where stuff needs to load on the fly is a good example.

In the OP's situation regarding ram though, their graphics card's Vram being only 2GB, wouldn't buffer as much into RAM so i can see 8GB being plenty. GTA5 being one of the most demanding game in their list has stuttering issues with 4GB+ Vram cards on 8GB systems and that's with most big titles nowadays. The pagefile just gets too big and though an SSD would certainly help with that 16GB RAM is recommended, but again it's not really an issue playing GTA5 with a 940MX.