[SOLVED] Does it matter which slot I put my NVMe SSD?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I bought a Kingston KC2500 NVMe M.2 SSD.
I have a Aorus B550 Elite V2 motherboard.
Do I have to put it in the 4.0 slot (the one with the heatsink) for better performance?
Is it okay if I just put it in the second 3.0 slot? Will it be slower? The SSD is 3.0 gen.
It would be a hassle to put it in the 4.0 because I have a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler on top.

Solution
What do you think? Should I go for the M2A_CPU or M2B_SB slot for this SSD?
I forgot to mention, using the chipset M.2 usually disables something like a pair of SATA ports or a PCIe x1 slot. Check with your motherboard's manual.

If you want the best performance, put it in the CPU slot. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Also putting it in the CPU slot doesn't affect the PCIe x16 slot, as the CPU slot gets its own PCIe lanes.

Lutfij

Titan
What processor is paired with the motherboard listed above? The SSD you have is rated to operate at PCIe 3.0 x4, meaning that even if you dropped into a faster slot, you're limited by the SSD's specs. So no it won't run faster, you're best left running it on the M2B_SB slot, provided you're working with a Ryzen processor and not an APU. If you're working with a Ryzen APU, then both slots are going to be at PCIe 3.0 x4 speeds.

Reactions: matacar

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
What processor is paired with the motherboard listed above? The SSD you have is rated to operate at PCIe 3.0 x4, meaning that even if you dropped into a faster slot, you're limited by the SSD's specs. So no it won't run faster, you're best left running it on the M2B_SB slot, provided you're working with a Ryzen processor and not an APU. If you're working with a Ryzen APU, then both slots are going to be at PCIe 3.0 x4 speeds.
I got a Ryzen 7 5800x.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
What is M2B_SB slot?

What do you think? Should I go for the M2A_CPU or M2B_SB slot for this SSD?
I forgot to mention, using the chipset M.2 usually disables something like a pair of SATA ports or a PCIe x1 slot. Check with your motherboard's manual.

If you want the best performance, put it in the CPU slot. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Also putting it in the CPU slot doesn't affect the PCIe x16 slot, as the CPU slot gets its own PCIe lanes.

Solution

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018

LEGEND! Thank you very much man.
I got one more question. Im currently using a 2.5 ssd in my pc. Can I just stick the nvme in and thats it, or do I have to reinstall windows as well?

LEGEND! Thank you very much man.
I got one more question. Im currently using a 2.5 ssd in my pc. Can I just stick the nvme in and thats it, or do I have to reinstall windows as well?
If the OS is already installed on the 2.5 SSD, you don't have to reinstall Windows if you just want to add more storage (Make sure to set up the NVMe drive through Disk Management). If you want Windows on the NVMe SSD, it's better if you reinstall.