vinchinator

Honorable
Feb 20, 2014
I originally posted this question in the "cooling" section but realized that since the question is more about power current rather than cooling that it makes more sense to put in the "components" section. So I am doing a new build with a Kraken Z63 AIO and an ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490 Motherboard. I am opting to do a Push-Pull setup with 4 Noctua 140mm fans on my 280mm radiator, mounted to the front of the case (NZXT H710). If you are unfamiliar with the NZXT Kraken system and how it works, please see the last paragraph for an overview**.

Since I am doing a Push-Pull setup, I am concerned about the number of fans that I am connecting to the Kraken radiator (4x 140mm fans total). the device only has the option to mount 3 fans in its stock form since it only has 3 daisy chained fan headers which are powered by the included SATA cable (My guess is that they include the 3-fan daisy chain on all models for ease of production since their Z73/X73 model has 3 120mm fans). Do you think it would be okay to use a splitter on one of the daisy chained fan headers to connect my 4th 140mm fan?

I couldn't find any specifications on how much power the SATA cable provides specifically to the fan headers. Keep in mind that the fans are not the only component on the Kraken cooler that is powered by the SATA cable (at least to my knowledge). Each noctua fan only consumes 0.18A on maximum draw, and a typical fan header on a mobo supplies 1.0A. If the Kraken's "Daisy-chained" fan headers follow that specification, then they theoretically should be able to handle all 4 of my noctua fans. My other option is to just use the fan splitters to connect my radiator fans to the motherboard and control them with the Asus software, however I would rather keep everything related to the AIO consolidated in CAM if possible. I just don't want to risk damaging the device by over-drawing power for the fans. Thanks in advance for any advice!

**I have experience with Kraken coolers so I am familiar with the cable setup. For those who aren't, here is an overview: One connector plugs into the CPU_Fan header (to tell the mobo that the cpu has some form of a cooler), one power cable in SATA form, one cable that connects to the mobo via usb 2.0 header, and 3 fan headers daisy chained together that are controlled by the CAM software. The Kraken Z63 and all of its components are powered by the SATA cable and controlled by the CAM software via a USB 2.0 header.

Solution
I'm sure it is good to run 4 fans. I'm sure you are not the first person to run it with push pull. Get a 1 to 2 pwm fan splitter an plug it into the 4 pin plug then you've got your 4 female ends. If that thing runs fine with 3 fans but, burns up with 4, i'll eat my own doodoo.

jwcrellin

Reputable
Fan splitters are not expensive if your motherboard doesn't have enough fan headers. As you mentioned, fans use like 0.2A and headers are usually good to 1.0. Personally, I wouldn't run more the 3 off of a single pwm header. Fans plugged into a splitter will always run at the same speed.

vinchinator

Honorable
Feb 20, 2014
Fan splitters are not expensive if your motherboard doesn't have enough fan headers. As you mentioned, fans use like 0.2A and headers are usually good to 1.0. Personally, I wouldn't run more the 3 off of a single pwm header. Fans plugged into a splitter will always run at the same speed.
Thanks for the response. I understand that I could use splitters and just run the fans off of the headers on the motherboard. However the kraken AIO includes its own fan headers that are powered by SATA and communicated to the CAM software via a USB 2.0 header for speed control (separate from the fan headers on the mobo). I would rather hook them up through the kraken AIO's SATA powered fan headers so that I can use the CAM software to control everything, but the problem is that the kraken AIO only includes 3 headers with its included fan controller. That's why I am curious if the headers that are attached to the SATA powered Kraken Z63 supply enough power for 4 fans if I were to attach a splitter to the daisy chain (increasing supported fans from the already daisy-chained 3 to 4). The AIO comes with 1x 4 pin connector and 2x 3-pin connectors daisy chained from that which will run at the same speed as the single 4 pin connector, and that speed is set from the CAM software via a usb 2.0 header. I am not concerned about fans in the splitter running at the same speed since they will all be attached to the same radiator in this instance.

My question is more about whether the kraken SATA powered fan controller can support 4 fans and not really about the motherboard fan headers.

jwcrellin

Reputable
I'm sure it is good to run 4 fans. I'm sure you are not the first person to run it with push pull. Get a 1 to 2 pwm fan splitter an plug it into the 4 pin plug then you've got your 4 female ends. If that thing runs fine with 3 fans but, burns up with 4, i'll eat my own doodoo.

Reactions: vinchinator
Solution

vinchinator

Honorable
Feb 20, 2014
:ROFLMAO: Okay I will hold you to that jwcrellin. I will try it out and report back (y). Thanks...maybe I just needed some moral support.