Question does low wattage psu affect fps?

Sep 12, 2021
hello, i recently changed my psu from a 650 watt to a 550 and i've noticed that my fps arent as good as they were before,its like something is limiting my gpu even if its on 90% usage, if i put the graphics at full quality fps doesent decrease at all

specs :
psu cooler master mwe v2 bronze 550w
a320m s2h gigabyte
amd a10 9700
gtx 760 4gb oc gigabyte
12 gb ram

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
hello, i recently changed my psu from a 650 watt to a 550 and i've noticed that my fps arent as good as they were before,its like something is limiting my gpu even if its on 90% usage, if i put the graphics at full quality fps doesent decrease at all

specs :
psu cooler master mwe v2 bronze 550w
a320m s2h gigabyte
amd a10 9700
gtx 760 4gb oc gigabyte
12 gb ram
The brand, Make and Model Of The PSU Matter More.

Sep 12, 2021
It's not a power demanding system, 350w at most. Psu you have isn't great but should be enough for that system.

Run userbench and link results.
UserBenchmarks: Game 11%, Desk 48%, Work 9%
CPU: AMD A10-9700 APU (2016 M.BR) - 37.9%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760 - 30.2%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - 48.2%
RAM: Micron 8ATF1G64AZ-2G3B1 Kingston KHX2133C14D4/4G 12GB - 26.5%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H-CF

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Very high background usage, try run it again fresh from restart. If usage on idle remains high then run through virus/malware scans using Malwarebytes. Might have to clean install Windows with background usage that high if infections are detected.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What fps are we talking before and after psu swap and in what game? What was the old psu?

Userbench looks ok for what the system is. Ram is at odds though, not all in dual channel being different capacities. If system ran better before psu swap check video cable was reconnected to the 760 and not motherboard.

Sep 12, 2021
What fps are we talking before and after psu swap and in what game? What was the old psu?

Userbench looks ok for what the system is. Ram is at odds though, not all in dual channel being different capacities. If system ran better before psu swap check video cable was reconnected to the 760 and not motherboard.
i put back my old psu and performance are the same so the problem is another one i think, maybe drivers? is there a way to download drivers safely? fps are good in games but this gpu can do better, like in ets 2 at full settings it doesent reach 50 fps at 900p when i saw some videos with a gtx 760 2gb running more smoothly at 1080, or far cry 3 at full settings 900p doing 35 fps average , also , if i want to oc the ram and the gpu , can my psu handle?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
i put back my old psu and performance are the same so the problem is another one i think, maybe drivers? is there a way to download drivers safely? fps are good in games but this gpu can do better, like in ets 2 at full settings it doesent reach 50 fps at 900p when i saw some videos with a gtx 760 2gb running more smoothly at 1080, or far cry 3 at full settings 900p doing 35 fps average , also , if i want to oc the ram and the gpu , can my psu handle?
Probably not the RAM, but you can overclock the GPU with MSI afterburner

boju

Titan
Ambassador
We are comparing to performance you once had right? Cant compare videos unless all hardware is exactly the same.

If you had more performance before then it's most likely software because hardware hasn't changed. Look at power plans, both Windows and NvidiaCP. Try a different Geforce driver version, can do manual search at https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/ and do the clean install option once you launch the driver installer.

And if use GE to optimise then try without.

Overclocking ram may bring stability issues so id avoid it. Also overclocking graphics cards isn't really worth doing either, besides stability issues also, you might get 3~5fps more if you're lucky.

Sep 12, 2021
We are comparing to performance you once had right? Cant compare videos unless all hardware is exactly the same.

If you had more performance before then it's most likely software because hardware hasn't changed. Look at power plans, both Windows and NvidiaCP. Try a different Geforce driver version, can do manual search at https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/ and do the clean install option once you launch the driver installer.

And if use GE to optimise then try without.

Overclocking ram may bring stability issues so id avoid it. Also overclocking graphics cards isn't really worth doing either, besides stability issues also, you might get 3~5fps more if you're lucky.
yes i was talking about my fps in these 2 games, i also updated to the last driver and changed power plan on nvidia cp still not getting fps increase.. new motherboard drivers can help?
i still cant understand why fps decreased so much, before changing psu i was doing 150+ fps full quality in rocket league and now above 40 and 70

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can try chipset drivers from Amd, google your motherboard: a320 Amd chipset driver.

150+ down to half or less is a bit much seeing there's no obvious reason for it like thermal throttling.

Apu's are generally weak in all honesty, im beginning to wonder if you had that level of performance to begin with.

Sep 12, 2021
Can try chipset drivers from Amd, google your motherboard: a320 Amd chipset driver.

150+ down to half or less is a bit much seeing there's no obvious reason for it like thermal throttling.

Apu's are generally weak in all honesty, im beginning to wonder if you had that level of performance to begin with.
updated everything still the same, and no, in rocket league i was using my gtx 760 not the apu, i dont want to be a hardware problem because i had some problem with this graphic card like "bsod video tdr failure" but i reinstalled drivers and now seems stable so i dont really knoe what could it be, becuase i saw lower cards in games like far cry 3 performing better then mine with same quality