[SOLVED] Does my outside fan on my cooler need a high Static Pressure Rating?

Jul 27, 2019
Hi looking at the D15S model by noctura and was going to get an additional fan to put on the outside since it is optional. I am going to go with a 120mm fan since clearance is better. My question is does the fan need a high pressure rating ? I ask because the cooler is set up as Radiator-FAN-Radiator-FAN-Open Space.

Do you need a high pressure fan blowing on the radiator even when behind the fan you have all the clearance you could wish for?

thanks

J

Solution
Yes, get a high-pressure design. The matter of high pressure versus high air flow relates not to the nearby space, but to the resistance to air flow that the fan deals with. The narrow spaces between the fins of a heat exchanger represent much more air flow resistance than an open space, so this is exactly where you use a fan designed to deal with that higher backpressure. I'd suggest another of the same NF-A15 fans. But since you want to go to 120 mm, the right model is their NF-A12x25 PWM. You can use a simple fan Splitter to connect both fans to your mobo CPU_FAN header Do NOT use the little Low Noise Adapter item that Noctua includes with some of their fans.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, get a high-pressure design. The matter of high pressure versus high air flow relates not to the nearby space, but to the resistance to air flow that the fan deals with. The narrow spaces between the fins of a heat exchanger represent much more air flow resistance than an open space, so this is exactly where you use a fan designed to deal with that higher backpressure. I'd suggest another of the same NF-A15 fans. But since you want to go to 120 mm, the right model is their NF-A12x25 PWM. You can use a simple fan Splitter to connect both fans to your mobo CPU_FAN header Do NOT use the little Low Noise Adapter item that Noctua includes with some of their fans.

Reactions: JamesinCali
Solution