Does my PSU fit Cougar QBX Kaze?

G

UPDATE
For anyone wondering the same, as long as you don't plan to use the DVD drive, you can use an ATX or SFX power supply with any orientation and placement of the power plug.

Here's an example of someone using an SFX power supply with the power plug on the left, but with a power plug orientated differently than the Corsair SF600

QvK14ID.png

------------ ORIGINAL POST ------------
I want to buy this case, but I'm not sure if my Corsair SF600 will work with it. They have a guideline for which power supply will work with it. I'll be using a SilverStone ATX to SFX bracket, so my question is NOT about whether SFX will work. My question is if the orientation of the power plug on the Corsair SF600 will work with the Cougar QBX Kaze.

Case website
cougargaming.com/products/cases/qbxkaze/

Guideline from their website
product-section-06.png

I'm not sure if this means it won't work with the PSU fan pointed towards the mesh. The Corsair SF600 is clearly different, with its plug on the left side instead of the right side. However, when you flip it, the plug is orientated as they don't recommend it. I don't care if the fan can't be pointed towards the mesh. I've heard some reviewers say that the PSU power cable inside the case doesn't bend very well, which is a problem with installing fans at the top of the case. However, I don't plan to ever do that.

Corsair SF600
9F861F24234E4240B79D506653568FB7.ashx

Solution
I don't own the case, but the picture from the website doesn't match the orientation of that PSU. Cougar's diagram clearly shows the fan up, and the plug socket on the right side.
G

I'm just not sure. Tomshardware did a review of the non-mesh version of this case, and they used a Be quiet! SFX Power 2 400W. If you rotate the Corsair SF600, the power plug placement and orientation will be the same as the Be quiet! SFX Power 2 400W.

Tomshardware's build
CougarQBX_IMG12.jpg

Be quiet! SFX Power 2 400W and Corsair SF600
mauL2Sm.jpg

G

There's a 140mm limit on the power supply, and even then your modular cables will be right up against the graphics card. I already plan on getting one of the ATX to SFX brackets, that's not a problem.

Garilia

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014

As I said, I do not have experience with that case. I'm assuming the case manufacturer drew the diagrams that way on purpose. Could they have left out an orientation? Maybe

This link shows that someone was able to make that PSU work in that case.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1596888/cougar-qbx-transplant

Nick_50

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
I believe this restriction is because the PSU is installed at the front of the case and a cable is used to route the power from the back of the case to the PSU at the front. I think the restriction is due to the design of the connector plug as it sticks out to one side so if the power socket is on the wrong side and orientated incorrectly it won't fit in or is very tight as the case interferes with the adaptor cable.

If you look at the power socket the adaptor cable sticks out to the right if the angled sides are at the bottom. So in their 3 Yes examples the cable would stick out to the left, bottom and top which is towards the centre of the PSU and not towards the edge.

Because your PSU is swapped around, no matter which way you put it, the adaptor cable will be pointing outwards towards the case which isn't an ideal situation.

So based on their guidance, it doesn't work but google 'Cougar QBX Kaze psu' and look at the images and you can see some tightly squeezed in cables towards the edge of the case.

G

Thank you! I think the restriction is mainly if you want to use a slim DVD drive, but I don't. My PSU will fit, I checked with the ATX to SFX bracket too and made sure it's all good, and that's all that really matters. I think it's only a restriction if you want the power supply fan pointed out, so hot air isn't pushed around the case. However, I don't think there's any problem since my PSU would end up with the power plug on the opposite side, if the fan was pointed out.

Nick_50

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

I would try and make it work with the fan pointing out. The fan on a PSU doesn't blow air out, it sucks air in so if you put the fan on the inside it will be drawing warmer air from inside your case right into your PSU which isn't an ideal set up.

G

Thanks! The two versions of the case have the same layout, so that shouldn't make a difference. I think they use that diagram, because the power cable would end up covering the DVD drive.

Garilia

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014

The fan on the PSU should be pointing out. That's because a power supply fan is an intake, not an exhaust. It is not designed to cool the case, it is designed to cool itself by drawing in cooler air from outside the case, rather than drawing the warm air in from inside..

Garilia

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014
You either really love this PSU, to keep it with a case that has potential compatibility issues, or you really love a case you haven't purchased that has potential compatibility issues with the PSU you already love.

G

There's mesh only a few centimeters away from the power supply, where it can also draw in air. It should be efficient enough to not run its fan at all, or at least only barely. Regardless, if its fan is pointed out, the power plug should be orientated in a way that there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

I originally wrote this thread as a LF alternative to the Cougar QBX, because of the Power Supply issue, but I don't think there is any cases similar in layout, size and price.