Question Does smaller battery capacity due to degradation affects laptop's performance, even while it's plugged in ?

imamrhakim

Prominent
Sep 13, 2020
I am sure my laptop used to perform better. I just cleaned the laptop's fan and changed the thermal paste but the performance still is not what it used to be, lagging and frame drop on games. it used to run smoothly, even in maximum performance while plugged in. There are no more updates for the GPU.

Based on those facts, i eliminate my suspicion on GPU and temperature, and the thing left that i suspect is the battery since it is in fact degraded up to the point where it will only last for a few minutes while laptop is unplugged. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks.

Laptop: HP 14s-cf2010tx
GPU: AMD Radeon 550
RAM: 8 GB
Battery Capacity: Last time i check, less than 1000 mAh

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Battery has no effect on performance if your laptop is plugged in. Take it out entirely and try running it again, there is 99% effect will be same unless operating system updates messed up smthing, check the power options to be sure.
Run some hard drive tests to eliminate it might be the issue as well.
When trying to breathe new life into older laptops first thing you should do is wipe them and perform clen OS installation.
Did you upgrade any components? 4gb of ram it came with is just sad, you can increase it to 16 for `65$ or adequately 32 for double that.
Even if your drive is healthy identify it with hdinfo or similar app to check for specs. Similar to ram you can possibly get 2 or 3 times faster one for dirt cheap.