[SOLVED] Does the ASRock A320M-HDV support the Athlon 3000G Proccessor?

Oct 31, 2021
I checked the model number of the Athlon 3000G that I am looking at [https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0815JGFQ8/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2AEWZ68B7P4J7&th=1] then I checked the supported models of the ASRock A320M-HDV and it did not appear to be on the list. I then checked the AMD website and it showed 3 different types of id: Box, Tray and MPK. I am very confused as to whether they are different types of id and the processor will work fine with the motherboard or I should try to find a different motherboard or processor. I had looked for a while and could not find one that had a different model number. I appreciate any responses.

Solution
I see. Is a BIOS update dependent on any external hardware or is purely kind of like an online game update? I also do not understand why it does not appear on the ASRock CPU support list: [https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M-HDV/index.asp#CPU] if it is just an accessory identifier.
TRAY processors are usually sold only to system integrators or OEM's. DIY builders usually buy BOX processors. People looking on that site will usually have a BOX processor model number in mind to compare for.

One thing to be aware of, SI's and OEM's get the processors at discount PARTLY because they (usually) assume part of the risk of warranty. That means you have no recourse to AMD for warranty if it should fail, only to the seller. It's...
Oct 31, 2021
Box, trey, etc just means what accessories the CPU came with. Cooler, no cooler, etc. Meaningless as far as bios is concerned.

You may need to update the bios depending on what version it ships with, but the 3000g will work
I see. Is a BIOS update dependent on any external hardware or is purely kind of like an online game update? I also do not understand why it does not appear on the ASRock CPU support list: [https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M-HDV/index.asp#CPU] if it is just an accessory identifier.

TRAY processors are usually sold only to system integrators or OEM's. DIY builders usually buy BOX processors. People looking on that site will usually have a BOX processor model number in mind to compare for.

One thing to be aware of, SI's and OEM's get the processors at discount PARTLY because they (usually) assume part of the risk of warranty. That means you have no recourse to AMD for warranty if it should fail, only to the seller. It's VERY rare a CPU does fail, especially so if not overclocking which is impossible in that motherboard.

Solution
Oct 31, 2021
I think I understand now. The processor is supported by the motherboard as long as I go to the BIOS utility screen and update the BIOS version to (specified by pcpartpicker) P6.20 using a flash drive. I can then install windows and the pc is ready. Please let me know if I misunderstood something. I appreciate it.

Oct 31, 2021
You need a supported CPU to upgrade the BIOS because the motherboard lacks a flash button on the back I/O

One thing to be aware of, SI's and OEM's get the processors at discount PARTLY because they (usually) assume part of the risk of warranty. That means you have no recourse to AMD for warranty if it should fail, only to the seller. It's VERY rare a CPU does fail, especially so if not overclocking which is impossible in that motherboard.
I am now very confused. Drea said it is supported while Sid said it isn't. Which is it?

I am now very confused. Drea said it is supported while Sid said it isn't. Which is it?
To be clear, the model number differences for Athlon 3000G in the motherboard mfr's support page pertain to more than just whether it's a boxed or tray processor. If you look at the complete line for each processor model you will see one is based on a Picasso architecture, the other on Raven Ridge. While one may provide better performance potential for overclockers it won't matter from a useability perspective with your motherboard. But it is important for BIOS support.

It's not that difficult though: to avoid any issues simply make sure you're board is updated to at least BIOS vP6.20 and it will work whichever one you get, a boxed or tray processor, Picasso core or Raven ridge.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021
To be clear, the model number differences for Athlon 3000G in the motherboard mfr's support page pertain to more than just whether it's a boxed or tray processor. If you look at the complete line for each processor model you will see one is based on a Picasso architecture, the other on Raven Ridge. While one may provide better performance potential for overclockers it won't matter from a useability perspective with your motherboard. But it is important for BIOS support.

It's not that difficult though: to avoid any issues simply make sure you're board is updated to at least BIOS vP6.20 and it will work whichever one you get, a boxed or tray processor, Picasso core or Raven ridge.
I understand now. I will ask the seller if the motherboard version is at least P6.20. Thanks both of you.