Question Does this DAC Converter exist?

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Hello everyone,

I favor analog audio over digital and I am looking for a DAC converter with 3.5mm and digital, that also has remote volume control, and also supports analog 5.1 surround technologies.
Does such a thing exist? I can find plenty that include features 1 and 2, or 1 and 3, but can't seem to find one that includes all three, despite people telling me they do exist.
Links are appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Can you post some links to what you have looked at that almost work for you. I here you on analog sound. I have a little tube pre-amp just for my PC but I can get a better idea what your looking for with some links.

Can you post some links to what you have looked at that almost work for you. I here you on analog sound. I have a little tube pre-amp just for my PC but I can get a better idea what your looking for with some links.
I think what he means is that he wants something with 6 channels of output for 5.1 sound and I don't think there's any tube DACs with more than 2 channels. I suppose that he could use 3 2-channel tube DACs but there's still the question of where the 5.1 dolby or dts channel decoding would take place to feed the 6 analog channels. I don't think I've seen any dolby or dts decoding DACs so he would have to explain what these 5.1 channel sources are and how he expects them to be decoded before feeding the amp portion of the tube DAC.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Below are links to examples of converters I had found with 3.5mm and digital, that also include remote volume control, but do not support 5.1 systems:

Currently, I have a Klipsch 2.1 speaker system which I am happy with and the products in the links will suffice for those. Though, I am simply just thinking about future upgrading options with what I'm looking for, as far as analog surround sound goes. The 5.1 sources I am referring to, would simply be any analog surround systems I may pick up in the future. I am unsure if Dolby or dts provide analog versions, or if there are even analog equivalents.

The 5.1 sources I am referring to, would simply be any analog surround systems I may pick up in the future. I am unsure if Dolby or dts provide analog versions, or if there are even analog equivalents.
The problem is that Dolby and DTS are licensed formats so any device decoding them would have to buy a license for its equipment and that adds cost. This is why you should not expect to see any Dolby or DTS devices similar to the DACs you mention, the manufacturers don't want to pay for the licenses.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
The problem is that Dolby and DTS are licensed formats so any device decoding them would have to buy a license for its equipment and that adds cost. This is why you should not expect to see any Dolby or DTS devices similar to the DACs you mention, the manufacturers don't want to pay for the licenses.

I understand.
However, this doesn't explain why I can't find a DAC like the above, that will support a different unlicensed, analog surround system.
Or, did licensed formats like Dolby and DTS reach a point where you can no longer perceive the difference between that and analog? If this is the case, then I could cut out the middle man that is the DAC and purchase the digital system.

Would something like this work for you. The HDMI is the digital in as well as RCA's as input, Has remote , has all the amplifiers built in for fronts R/L, center Channel , and rear R/L speakers. Has RCA line level out for powered subwoofer. Heck it even has a radio tuner. And it sounds great ,my son has this model as well hooked up to vintage Polk SDA2b's for his setup. He just runs mini pin audio out from his computer to a RCA cable to mini pin and feeds the amplifier. Runs his whole 5.1 off that little amplifier. At least food for thought.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014

Would something like this work for you. The HDMI is the digital in as well as RCA's as input, Has remote , has all the amplifiers built in for fronts R/L, center Channel , and rear R/L speakers. Has RCA line level out for powered subwoofer. Heck it even has a radio tuner. And it sounds great ,my son has this model as well hooked up to vintage Polk SDA2b's for his setup. He just runs mini pin audio out from his computer to a RCA cable to mini pin and feeds the amplifier. Runs his whole 5.1 off that little amplifier. At least food for thought.

I appreciate it, but unfortunately no, as it does not have a digital in. I have multiple devices connected to my tv which outputs the sound through my current dac, so all of the devices are essentially being routed through the digital.